1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DJ-ing OCR Advice

Discussion in 'Music' started by davcrok0911, Sep 26, 2015.

1. davcrok0911

davcrok0911 New commenter

Hi all,

I have recently started to teach the OCR syllabus and have 2 pupils doing DJ-ing for performance. I have looked in the spec and I can see that it is no more than 5 minutes for performance, but I can't see how they can show their skill range when the average song is at least 3 minutes long.

Has anyone done this before and if so what was the process. They are good at what they do so want to get it right.

Thanks
    David

2. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

It's 5 mins max for each performance. They may have to change songs and condense more than they would in a real life context? Hopefully someone else has had DJers before to comment more - I've had beat boxers but less of an issue. It may be worth contacting OCR directly to be sure.

3. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Five minutes is more than enough to demonstrate the full range of DJ skills. They simply need to announce that the buffet is served and put on 'I'm Not In Love' by 10cc.

Lennox

4. rajam4

rajam4 New commenter

^ lennox ftw. And they will be judged on distance and accuracy of throwing cakes based on the "Steve Aoki standards of excellence".

For real thoough, to show their skills they will need to be switching betweens songs faster than every 3 mins anyway so they could fit in 4-5 songs I would say.