1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dizziness / balance problem

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lunarita, Aug 23, 2011.

1. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

The last couple of days I've felt dizzy at times, not nauseous, more like being on a boat, as though the ground below me wasn't steady.
    I occasionally get light-headed in the heat but this is more frequent. Strangely enough I don't notice it when I'm up and moving around, it's more when I'm sitting still. Also while it's warm here it's no warmer than I'm used to.
    Any ideas? My first step is going to be to go get a blood pressure check, but any ideas will be welcome.

2. My mum has recently had this but with more severe symptoms than you describe. She thought it was a bad case of vertigo but turned out to be labyrinthitis. Best to go and get yourself checked out, hers crept up on her and was ok for a couple of days, it got to the stage where me and my sister had to rotate on 'mum watch' as she couldn't even get to the toilet by herself for being so disorientated.

3. lunarita

Hmm, thanks, I think. Maybe I'll skip the blood pressure check and go straight to the GP.

4. Always worth checking. Sorry, I didn't mean to worry you, that wasn't my intention. I'm sure someone else can correct me but aren't balance issues often related to ear problems?

5. lunarita

yes, they are. Idon't have any ear problems to go with this though.
    it's very mild (at the moment) but a bit disconcerting.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I've had this a couple of times. I felt sick all of the time but found it worst when I lay down - the whole room would spin very violently [​IMG]
    Doctor gave anti-nausea tablets and insisted that I didn't drive as a sharp turning of the head would bring on a 'spin' - not very safe behind a wheel.

7. I've had this too. Doc wouldn't let me drive either. Even now, if I'm tired and/or stressed, I can get mild symptoms, so carry prescription Stugeron tablets at all times. I actually fainted in front of head girl and head boy when the dizziness was worst!

It's very disorientating [​IMG]

8. I didn't have ear problems when I had it ...

9. lunarita

You had it yourself Mixu? Do you know what brought it on? How long did it last and how did you get rid of it?

10. marlin

11. I had labyrinthitis. It came on very suddenly... went from following to one side, head spinning to being unable to stand up in about 4 hours. Once the worst was over it took about a month to start feeling better .. sickness went but spinning head took a while. Still get it every now and again.

12. lunarita

Good grief. Thanks for all the comments but I really hope that's not what it is :(
    This is the second day and it's still pretty mild - i the way that at times I think it's my imagination. But I will make an appointment with the doctor and report back.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

It's very disconcerting-I've suffered on and off for years.
    Most spectacularly, I collapsed in front of a class of year 10. I didn't lose consciousness, just couldn't move. The conversation among the class while I lay helpless on the floor was quite enlightening and resulted in a number of red faces when I repeated all that was said when I returned to work. [​IMG]

14. lunarita

Just to say I saw the doctor. She thinks it may be related to blood pressure which is usually on the low side. She is going to keep an eye on it over the next week or two. She didn't even mention laberynthitis though she did ask if I was having any problems with noise or pain in my ears.
    Thanks again for all the messages.

15. marlin

So pleased you've seen the doctor! Hopefully she'll be keeping an eye on your BP and you'll be fine.
    Take care.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mrs MSB got Labyrinthitis completely out of the blue some time ago and fully recovered not long afterwards. She still gets wobbly with Redwineitis though. Involuntary balance problems are often inner ear related.

17. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

On my second bout of Labyrinthitis at the moment - a few months ago I had a couple of nasty colds so put it down to that, but this time it's appeared out of the blue.
    It's not severe in my case- I notice it mostly when I tilt my head, so things like lying down, sitting up and turning over in bed are a bit yukky.

18. marlin

My sympathies to you [​IMG]
    I hated going to bed because lying down and turning were so awful, but I was desperate to sleep! In the end I used lots of pillows to prop me up and hold my head in a forward position and slept as best as I could like that. [​IMG]

19. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Marlin and Rosiegirl - what you are describing sounds much more like something called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - BPPV. It's caused by some particles in the inner ear floating around where they shouldn't be and it tends to happen much more with particular movements especially when lying down and turning to one side or the other. The good news is that it can be cured in an instant by a doctor or consultant carrying out a procedure called the Epley manoeuvre. I had it - it was horrible but my GP sorted it very quickly with the above technique - worth asking. By the way - simple and painless!

20. Glad to hear you had some resolve.