1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DIY-type question about bathroom taps & chrome stuff

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Mo, Jul 11, 2011.

1. We are currently in the process of having a bathroom refit - it all looks fabulous! We went for real top of the range fittings which were eye-wateringly expensive. Claw-foot bath with fab chrome stand pipes, beautiful chrome designer radiators/towel rail etc. I just happened to ask the fitter today about whether the chrome will ever go rusty. He then proceeded to say that I cannot use any preparatory cleaners such as Cillit Bang, Flash etc on the taps & other chrome parts because it will take the chrome off! Apparently they are only chrome plated on plastic. I have never heard of anything like this before. We have chrome taps elsewhere in the house and I have happily used Flash to clean them for years and they're fine.
    Has anyone else been told this? The fittings we chose were top of the range, not cheap rubbish. I can't quite believe that I can only use fairy liquid to clean them, or are they just covering themselves so as not to void any warranties?
    We've also had a wood effect laminate floor laid which also looks lovely but again, I've been told I cant use normal floor cleaners on it, I can only use the special cleaners from the manufacturer (which are no doubt pricey).
    Feeling a bit chuffed off really.

2. We are currently in the process of having a bathroom refit - it all looks fabulous! We went for real top of the range fittings which were eye-wateringly expensive. Claw-foot bath with fab chrome stand pipes, beautiful chrome designer radiators/towel rail etc. I just happened to ask the fitter today about whether the chrome will ever go rusty. He then proceeded to say that I cannot use any preparatory cleaners such as Cillit Bang, Flash etc on the taps & other chrome parts because it will take the chrome off! Apparently they are only chrome plated on plastic. I have never heard of anything like this before. We have chrome taps elsewhere in the house and I have happily used Flash to clean them for years and they're fine.
    Has anyone else been told this? The fittings we chose were top of the range, not cheap rubbish. I can't quite believe that I can only use fairy liquid to clean them, or are they just covering themselves so as not to void any warranties?
    We've also had a wood effect laminate floor laid which also looks lovely but again, I've been told I cant use normal floor cleaners on it, I can only use the special cleaners from the manufacturer (which are no doubt pricey).
    Feeling a bit chuffed off really.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

What are they?

4. I use whatever I fancy on my laminates

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A completely different hazard I found with chrome fittings was if you have one of those round chrome plug opener/closer thingies fitted at the bottom end of your bath just below the taps. First time I got in my new bath I thought the chrome fitting was displaying some awful **** movie featuring a naked bloated fat person wallowing around on their back. Then I realised it was my reflection.

I only take showers now.

All that stuff about only using the manufacturer's cleaning products is b*llocks.

6. Yes you can - I have been doing so for donkey's years! The only thing to need to avoid is getting the floor too wet - the cloth/mop should just be damp, not wringing wet.

7. "Preparatory cleaners" - I've probably used the wrong term here - I mean the usual shop bought stuff like Flash, Mr Muscle, Cillit Bang. THe sort of stuff I use all the time on my chrome taps in the kitchen and which are showing no signs of wear or damage.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I think you mean proprietary ....
    You are usually advised not to use cleaners which contain abrasives, such as cif or cream cleaner as there is a risk of putting scratch marks into the chrome, although as chrome is quite a hard metal the risk is fairly small unless you are using a lot of 'elbow grease'.
    However while it is possible to chrome plate plastic I have never seen taps made of plastic. Certainly 'top of the range' fittings wouldn't be made of plastic. I think you need to ask a few more questions.

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oooo errr, missus! [​IMG]