1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Divorce settlements

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marymoocow, Oct 23, 2015.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Does anyone know if divorce settlements are made public? My sister has got divorced and her new partner is also going through a divorce. His wife's solicitor has found out the settlement between my sister and her ex husband and is trying to use that as leverage for their settlement. I am keen to find out as my 'lovely' sister is accusing me of letting the cat out of the bag, even though I haven't and don't even know what her settlement is. It is beginning to make things awkward with extended family members never mind my future BIL who I have only met once.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think it's more likely that the solicitors chatted or some of their staff did. If your sister is unhappy with any aspect of her treatment or that her personal information has been shared, she can apply to the Law Society for a hearing and a judgement. Her details should be private and not 'the talk of the wash house!!'

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Why does a divorce between your sister and her ex and the new partner and his ex, have any bearing on each other? Sorry if that's naive, but I don't see why one affects the other.

If one solicitor is trying to use it as leverage, I would agree that someone, somewhere has been talking out of turn.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

So far as I understand, mary, anything a judge makes a decision on should be available for public scrutiny. So if the divorce settlement was agreed in a court of law, the settlement will be available upon request. Note that this is different from the details being published.

It's also my understanding that in determining how the accrued wealth should be split and how much maintenance can be afforded, the judge will take into account the circumstances of both parties at the time of the divorce. So if one party is living the life of Riley, in a new relationship with a wealthy partner, whilst the other party is left with the task of bringing up the kids on a low income, the situation is clearly unfair. The judge would take the income and expenditure of both households into account when deciding a fair settlement.

In practice, there are few occasions where couples divorce and one partner shacks up with a multi-millionaire. It's more common to find that when they split, couples form relationships with partners of broadly similar incomes and wealth and the new partners are so indignant of letting go of what they've spent their life working for, they find ways to hide their income, even if it means being temporarily unemployed.

Emotions run high during divorce, but once the dust has settled people are generally happy to move on with whatever lot they ended up with. Solicitors will often make the transition as difficult as possible, because they earn their money by every opportunity to write a letter on behalf of their clients. It's not ethical, but I don't doubt that some of them use the occasions when their clients are particularly angry about their soon to be ex-partner's behaviour to stir things up and get several letters passed between his legal opponent and their respective clients.

It all has to be paid for, and most of it ain't worth it. Nobody comes out of a divorce financially better off, other than the lawyers.

5. marymoocow

That is what i thought DOY. After all there are plenty of famous divorces in the papers. Also people doing geneology seem to beable to track down wills etc, so I assumed it was the case with divorces. Sadly my sister doesnt believe the suggestion, though paranoid is her middle name. Dragonlady that is also one possibility I hadnt thought of as they all live in the same small area. My sister and her new partner had an affair, so his wife is understandably very aggrieved. The whole thing has caused huge reprocussions in our family too, not least because there are children involved and her ex was my best friend for many years before they got together. Thank you.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Wills are public property once probate is granted...so are accessible. I'm not sure divorce settlements are. I would check the legalities with CAB or a solicitor if you are worried - if someone has leaked this information it may be professional misconduct.

As for your sister - tell her to get psychiatric help, I suggest. Or just keep your distance from her. She sounds deranged....

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Oh dear, Mary - what a mess. I know nothing about divorces, but you have my full sympathy for being caught up in that situation. I hope you've managed to make it clear to your sister that your hands are totally clean.

As an aside, I have a friend whose brother divorced several years ago. She and much of the rest of the family much preferred the spurned wife, to the point that over time the ex-wife grew into being an integral part of the family, along with her eventual second husband and ensuing two children, and the brother was gradually estranged from them all.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

What a shame Mary. I'm not telling you anything you don't know when I point out your problem is your sister not the rules of divorce settlements. Let her think what she likes. Rise above - not easy - she's your sister but don't waste your energy trying to prove your innocent. You are innocent!

9. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Divorce Settlements are only rarely made public (family Courts are private) and I've never seen a judge rule that the details can be released directly.
    Some have been as part of appeal proceedings but the usual sources of information are the parties concerned and/or family members.
    Scotland has/had (?) a 75 year block on such data being released by the courts (I'm not sure about the rest of the UK) but newspapers etc, whilst they are prohibited from reporting most details directly from the court will publish such details as they "know" if they regard it to be in the "public interest" and are rarely challenged by the courts..

So it is likely MaryMC that the source is a local one, but if you know it's not you, your sister blaming you is just something she has to deal with.

lindenlea likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I couldn't afford one.

11. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

I'm shocked that information like that has come out. Is it actually public or is it, as has been suggested, a case of lawyers or clerks talking to one another? I would have thought the information would be covered under data protection act.

12. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I just wrote mine up on a bit of paper we both signed. No need for a solicitor and done online via the forms available on gov.uk.

13. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

In any case, the agreements of finance is no longer worth the paper it's written on anyway...

14. marymoocow

Thanks everyone. I won't be passing this on to my sister unless she brings it up again, but may tell our parents about the possibilities.

15. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

I'm really loving divorce.. can't remember why I got married in the first place. I get to pass my money onto my kids, chat up old geezers in pubs, drive round in my 4x4 and generally have the respect of my offspring, so what's not to like? Plus the other old geezer pops round and round without me having to get the police to chuck him out if I feel so inclined. I send him to the boat.

Life's a *****! ( no offence intended).:)