1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Division with Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amaryllis2, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Help please.
    I have to do an introductory lesson on division with a Year 1 class for a job interview.
    Any ideas or suggestions, anyone, please? I'll share the cream cakes with you if I'm successful.

2. Help please.
    I have to do an introductory lesson on division with a Year 1 class for a job interview.
    Any ideas or suggestions, anyone, please? I'll share the cream cakes with you if I'm successful.

3. Do your preparation first; -find out what the expectations for division are in year 1, use these to decide an appropriate learning intention for the class bearing in mind their age, the likely ability range and the time you have. Once you have decided your learning intention, choose the most appealing and engaging way to teach it to the children.

If you have specific questions about the suitability of your planned activity, then people will give you feedback.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Division is level 2 maths, so they won't have done anything much. Start from a 'sharing out' idea. So dividing up cakes and so forth.

5. I agree that this is Level 2 work so they may not have come across the concept or language of division and there are likely to be some children who will find this tricky (ie if they are still working on Foundation Scale Points). As a previous poster suggested, see what you can find out from the school in terms of ability range within the class. If you are teaching a whole lesson, then they will be expecting to see some level of differentiation, so when looking up the expectation for Year 1, it would be useful for you to see what the next step on from there is too for the more able in the class. For the least able in my class, I would be tempted to focus their activity on sharing between 2 (perhaps sharing toppings onto 2 pizzas). You would probably also want to find out what TA support there is in the class.
    As its an introductory session, keep it practical throughout - I wouldn't be using number sentences for example, just referring to sharing. For your input, you could link back to what they already know - they have probably covered halving by this point in the year. So you could halve some objects between two children or between a child and a puppet. Using a story / 'real life' situation would be a good stimulus so you could find out what their current topic/key text is. Also try to find out what resources are available at the school (cubes, counting bears, etc) or you could see if the school would be ok with you using grapes/raisins for a task (sweets would be a no go if they are a healthy school like mine!).
    HTH, Good luck!