1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Division with year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emz123, Jun 13, 2010.

1. emz123

emz123 New commenter

Hi
    Just a question about teaching division in year 1 really
    How do people teach this? should I be doing it as sharing? or do I need to use the word divide?
    I was thinking of perhaps showing some objects being shared between 2 people on the smartboard then sharing between 3, 4 etc...
    Then I was going to show them how to divide on the number line letting them have a go themselves
    Then I was going to let them share some sweets using paper plates in pairs so just doing it practically at first.

Sorry Im a trainee so not really that sure- also what sort of numbers should I be dividing by do you think? obviously 2 would be best to start with.

Thanks in advance

2. emz123

emz123 New commenter

Hi
    Just a question about teaching division in year 1 really
    How do people teach this? should I be doing it as sharing? or do I need to use the word divide?
    I was thinking of perhaps showing some objects being shared between 2 people on the smartboard then sharing between 3, 4 etc...
    Then I was going to show them how to divide on the number line letting them have a go themselves
    Then I was going to let them share some sweets using paper plates in pairs so just doing it practically at first.

Sorry Im a trainee so not really that sure- also what sort of numbers should I be dividing by do you think? obviously 2 would be best to start with.

Thanks in advance

3. Always best to start off practically and in real life situations i think, rather than use IWB i use physical objects to share, i start off using the words share equally then throw in the word divide alongside it. I usually stick to dividing between two or five as the children know these number patterns very well and can start to see patterns then i branch out to other amounts once they have got to grips with it. Only after they are absolutly secure do i introduce a numberline as seeing it as repeated subtraction is quite tricky! Our schools maths policy doesnt actually introduce numberlines for division until Y2 but my top group has had a go quite successfully [​IMG].

My children liked using a farm/zoo context and sorting into pens/cages equally - i left these resources out in our small world/construction and they applied their learning in their play - happy days! [​IMG]

4. emz123

emz123 New commenter

Thanks so much for your help!!!
    They sound like great ideas I bet the children loved doing that!!

Thanks againx

5. Hi
    Make sure you are clear yourself on the distinction between sharing and grouping. The sharing elelment is best practically seen using set rings (or the paper plates you are thinking of). Grouping is different and is practially seen by using rubber bands to group the objects say straws etc. This will then develop into using a number line to put the objects into groups of say 2, 5 and 10.

6. Hiya, i have been interested to read your ideas, could you please explain what you mean when you say division on a numberline? I am in my 2nd year teaching y1 and have never taught this method :S thank you.

7. I would too!
    Did quartering numbers today; many of the kids realised it was dividing by 4 and even wrote the calculation.

8. Division on a number line is just using the number line to do repeated subtraction. So for example 12 divided by 3 would be shown by jumping back in threes from 12 to 0 and then count how many jumps of 3 (or how many times you could subtract 3).
    I teach Y2 and have always found this method just confuses them - I tend to stick to sharing and grouping as then they understand division and can usually use multiplication to solve.
    Wow! What year are they? I wish they were in my class!

9. Year 1. Moved it on from halving / dividing by 2. Never got this far before....[​IMG]
    Thanks for the numberline explanation. Makes sense to me, but I think it would confuse my class. I tend to keep sharing as, well, sharing.