1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Division of 1265

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by becktonboy, Sep 10, 2011.

1. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

can't be right either, since PPA can only be given while children are being taught....

Seek union advice, get your colleagues together, get all of their unions involved as well, it doesn't matter about the employment situation because you being overworked is not what is keeping the Music service in existence.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The 30 contact hours and 3 hrs PPA will be for 38 weeks as the 39 weeks worked by most teachers include 5 non-pupil days.
    33 x 38 = 1254 hours, leaving11 hours for INSET or meetings.
    In practice, I expect that your PPA will end up being undertaken at home. My sister is school based ina Nursery and takes her half day PPA at home.
    Although you will have more of your Directed Time as contact hours in schools, you will not have many, if any, after school meetings or parents' evenings and won't be doing break duties or before and after school yard/corridor or bus duties.
    As some schools operate until 4pm, having your PPA time after 3.30 shoudn't be an issue.

3. Yeah, theoretically we only offer the schools something like 35 weeks, and absolutely - none of the duties of most school colleagues. We do though do many concerts throughout the year involving many trapped hours and late nights.
    As someone somewhere is teaching till perhaps 7 it's felt that PPA can all be placed outside 'normal' school times.

I'm not moaning - teaching all day is after all what we are paid for... it's the lack of reasonable breaks. In schools I've had odd full on days, but even they have some sort of break or two in, I have a few days this year with almost none between 9 - 3:30, which is all the more annoying as my travel time between schools isn't even included, as it would be as a school based teacher travelling between sites.

As I say - the unions were all involved - none of them specifically objected to any of it. I guess there is nothing to complain about!