1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Division Obs Y2... HELP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Nov 25, 2011.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I'm being observed next week and it's division. This week we have looked at mult as repeated addition and my first lesson on division will be the obs...
    My target is pitch so...
    I thought m/o revise multiplicatoin 2mins
    Move onto division as inverse of mult
    Get children in groups (differentiated) to share groups of cubes equally amongst themselves. HA - how many ways can they share them?
    Then have a set of cubes and shre them as a class, modelling on IWB how to use a numberline to count back, making the link with mult.
    It's the task that I'm finding difficult, if I do pure questions it's dull (yet it's what I'd do if I wasn't being observed...but the game...)so I thought either doing some code breaking where the chn get instant feedback e.g. each answer corresponds to a letter... or having three levels of differentiated questions for the chn to choose which ones to do. La could use cubes or share objects into different quantities of trays as a guided session. Then, depending on how well my ma are doing, I was going to give them an open ended problem to solve. My problem is spicing up a lesson which they need to know and uderstand the basic concept of sharing and repeated subtraction. Any comments / advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

2. If you are introducing multiplication as repeated addition, why are you introducing division as sharing. Surely grouping should be more of a focus?

All you need is an imaginative context for the activity. Take a look at the book One is a Snail and let your imagination flow. Ideal for Year 2.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you want the link to multiplication, could you not just do repeated subtraction for division?

I wouldn't do a page of questions with year 2, not any year for an observation. But not sure what you could do to introduce it in an exciting way. Can you not do an extra lesson on multiplication where they apply and show off their skills.

4. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

I was observed last week doing exactly the same. I related division to repeated subtraction and as previous posts have said this is grouping not sharing so when you show the children 10 divided by 2 you should be saying how many groups of 2 go into 10. Gordons ITP - grouping is brilliant. I showed the children using the oranges and asked them the questions then made the groups. After I had shown them a few I sent my lower ability off with my TA to choose a division calculation out of a tub and work out the answer practically using counters making groups of 2. Then with the children who were left I showed them how to record what we were doing with the ITP on a blank numberline - jumping back. The children were having a go on whiteboards. As they became more confident I sent them off to have a go in their books. I only used 2's and 5's though. The following day the children consolidated and completed more tasks in their books. Hope you can make sense of this - i know it sounds complicated but it worked well and got good feedback[​IMG]