1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dividing common fractions by whole numbers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WolfPaul, Nov 15, 2015.

1. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

Hi despite many years teaching Y6 haven't done this before! I can't make up my mind which approach. Either:

a) Change the fraction into an equivalent with a numerator that divides by by the divisor, eg

3/4 ÷ 2 = 6/8 ÷ 2 = 3/8

or just to go for multiplying the denominator, eg

b) 3/4 ÷ 2 = 3/4x2 = 3/8

Would try both but think this probably = confusion!

Any thoughts?

2. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

I think this is down to what we mean by maths mastery. The understanding of maths. So both methods lead to more understanding. So far I have been doing 'entering' with the majority of the children so I have just taught multiplying by finding the reciprocal- am I using the correct term? Flipping the second fraction.
    This looks like an easy method but the mathematical understanding goes deeper. So I think this is why it is not on the expected progress seen in the test framework.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

@WolfPaul

Go with b but make it easier on yourself. It's the same rule as dividing by fractions: Invert the divisor integer, 2, so that you have it's reciprocal, 1/2, and then multiply across, 3/4 * 1/2 = 3/8. Remember the rule; invert & multiply.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hi WolfPaul, I've yet to teach this as well (a week or two yet) but I think I'll be going for b). With some visual/physical resources at first to illustrate the process. b) is the easier of the two to do.

5. star9

star9 New commenter

b is incorrect.

It should be

3/4 ÷ 2 = 3/4x1/2 = 3/8

You need to do a to get the understanding. If you want half of a fraction it is easy if the numerator is an even number. If not, you need to divide your shape into more pieces - double the denominator - find an equivalent fraction with an even numerator.

b shows that ÷ 2 is finding half of something.

If you just teach b you are not teaching the understanding, just the method.