1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ditty Books-Read Write Inc

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by missarnold327, Apr 8, 2016.

1. missarnold327

missarnold327 New commenter

Hello,

I'm an NQT new to early years and would really appreciate any advice or plans on how you teach Ditty Books lessons in a reception class!

I have a 30 minute slot, everyday, for phonics and my bottom set are still on Set One Speed Sounds. The Read Write Inc lesson plan in the handbook is for a year one class and for an hour lesson, so I'm not sure how to adapt in for reception. Unfortunately at my school there is no literacy coordinator or Read Write Inc leader to ask for help!

PLEASE can you let me know how I should plan for Ditty Books over a week.

Thanks !

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Ditty books are taught one ditty per day, along with your phonics. More than this I cannot recall as I haven't used them much this year, our cohort were very capable. I will look when term starts and give you a little more idea if no-one else does so in the meantime.

3. pisces77

pisces77 New commenter

Hi
    You can do a ditty lesson in 30 minutes I think I found the lesson plan on google for reception it might even have been the RWI website. First 10 mins teach speed sound then do the reading activities - read the green and red words then introduce ditty and read ditty in pairs at least twice then check comprehension using the questions at the back of the book, final part hold a sentence lesson finished. Probably not helped much if I can find the 30 minute lesson plan on my memory stick I will upload it for you.