1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ditching the new framework possibility - maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AdrienneKing, Dec 14, 2011.

1. AdrienneKing

AdrienneKing New commenter

This may have been a previous post, so would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction, but am interested to hear of any primary (esp Junior) schools who have dropped the new framework and reverted back to the old framework for planning etc in maths. It's something my head wants us to consider, and I , as maths leader, may have to plan to introduce on the January Training day......

2. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

being a year 6 teacher with quite a weak class, i have not followed the new frsmework at all this year. i carried out assessment tasks - not tests- in the first couple of weeks thrn planned according to areas of weakness. i planned in weekly topics like the old unit plans used to be eg week of addition, week of fractions etc using app and pitch and expectations to ensure my activities are pitched at the right level. by doing a whole week on something i have had more time to teach consolidate and move on which the framework was not allowing me to do as there is si much to cover in it. so far my class has made an average of 3aps points (this is how many they should make in the whole year) other teachers who are still following framework have mot made any where near this. as maths leader i would love to scrap framework but as we have alot of new staff am not sure if they would feel confident to not follow anything and plan for what their classes needed. hope this helps. id be interested to know what you decide and the outcomes after christmas.

3. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

We don't use the new framework - indeed we only used it the first year it came out and most teachers hated it! We do similar to groovyshell - assess and then teach to weaknesses. Much better to do this and ensure that gaps are filled. We then cover other areas and extend the children's thinking in them by completing problem solving tasks.

4. forestje

forestje New commenter

Still use the old framework. Meeting different topics each term instead of doing them in blocks.

5. We had a discussion about this last week, planning on looking at it over the holidays And figuring out the return to the old framework!

6. forestje

forestje New commenter

Really feel it meets all the criteria. If the children don't understand a topic in the autumn term they will revisit it in the spring and summer terms.

7. We're doing exactly the same and it's working really well. APP is a great planning tool.

8. groovyshell83

old framework as in 1999 maths strategy?

9. We teach the four operations using the school calculation policy, and I use APP to make sure I cover all bases and differentiate appropriately. Most of our shape, space and measure is done outside (or in science investigations) using natural materials, with a little consolidation in the classroom. The framework was a joke, flitting from one are to the next, not concentrating on any area long enough to ensure that the children understood what they were doing.

10. Yes the 1999 framework! Not planning on returning to it fully but we need to do something! The new framework doesn't work, the children cover lots of maths concepts too quickly and they don't stick, so will be looking at calculation policy, app, old and new framework, year objectives and coming up with something that works for our children in our school... Not sure what that will look like but hoping to create a whole school framework that works!
    Any advice gratefully welcomed!

11. AdrienneKing

AdrienneKing New commenter

Thank you everyone...all your posts have been so helpful. On a training day (tomorrow!) I am encouraging teachers to plan for their class's needs, after appropriate assessment, using APP, Pitch and Expectations and a list of the objectives for their year group - and not to get bogged down by the numerous objectives in blocks from the new framework. We will really hammer the 4 rules and break up any monotony with sessions on shape, measures and especially problem solving. We are cutting data handling out of maths and moving into other subject areas, particularly science and topic.
    I am aware that the new framework offers a whole breadth of curriculum, so I intend to keep my eye on planning and progression, but also hope (and believe) my colleagues will deliver a comprehensive, school-based curriculum. Thanks again!

12. groovyshell83

that is brilliant news. good luck for today. i would be interested in hearing the reactions from othet staff members. keep us updated with how its going!!

13. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

On a training day (tomorrow!) I am encouraging teachers to plan for their class's needs

Wow that is radical..Im so glad education has moved on so much since the good old 60s

14. Oooooh sarky! I think it's what's now called AfL isn't it? But what about all the teachers who have been trained to 'deliver the curriculum' -regardless of whether it is appropriate?

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL it is hard not to be a little sarcastic, but having listened to a colleague describing her visit to another school yesterday I can sympathise with such an obvious idea seeming radical to some staff. Apparently, at this amazing school my colleague visited, the teachers assess the children every single lesson and adapt their planning for the next day based on that. No? Really? Good Lord, doesn't everyone?

My year group and one other doesn't use the framework and teaches the next level up to where our children currently are.

16. groovyshell83

minnieminx i feel you are missing the point slightly of the original post. alot of schools do not have the freedom to work so freely due to a large number of constraints. i think we should be co gratulating the oringinal post and offering support in what could be a very challenging task. i know i would be lynched by several staff in my old place of work if i suvgested scrapping the framework after they have finally got to grips with it!

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

EEEekkkk...fear this maybe one of those times when what I mean and what comes across might not be the same thing. Apologies.

I do understand entirely how hard it is to convince people to do what seems obvious, or what seems to have been around for ages. I was responding more the sarcastic posts and sympathising that it is hard not to be sarcastic when one sees that posters are having to tell their staff to 'teach to the needs of the pupils' and the like. BUT I do most certainly understand being in that situation and know how tricky it can be. No offence was meant and I do admire those sticking their neck on the line to improve things in their school, it isn't easy.

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I'm currently on the other side of the fence as it were and banging my head against the brick wall that is our maths subject (non)leader.
    I don't get that either. I just do not understand why they do, except as you say, they don't know anything else.

I think we are all saying more or less the same thing, but unfortunately I am more prone to sarcasm and criticism than tact and sensitivity.

19. On a more serious note I think this debate is particularly relevant in maths. I am frequently asked to assess children who are seriously adrift in maths and find that they lack very basic understanding of concepts- usually because thay have been 'moved on' far too quickly and before they have developed the firm foundations needed. Maths is a linear subject- each step is underpinnned by the previous one and racing through the strategy, revised or otherwise, means that some pupils begin to fail very, very early.

20. I have tutored on the 1:1 and privately (and still do) students from Y7-11 and all of them present with the same issues- a lack of knowledge and understanding with subtraction, division, fractions, decimals, %, x10, 100etc (and reverse), times tables and division facts. IE, stuff they should know and can do before 2ndary school. Although the 15/16 yo could often do a lot of the GCSE maths (with support) their lack of basics slowed them down so much (one was dividing by grouping dots) that there was no chance of getting a D let alone a C grade (The Holy Grail).They just could not complete enough questions nor do the recording necessary to get the extra marks needed to get these grades.
    so I would agree with the above comments and make a plea-make sure the children have plenty off opportunity to learn and practise these areas of arithmetic. Professional judgement surely trumps a Framework.