1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Distancing myself and not being so nice.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Fliptopbox, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Hello all :)
    I'm a student teacher in my first placement as a year 1 teacher but recently Ive hit a bit of a wall in my work
    I'm doing well (I think so at least) but my mentor has highlighted that I am too nice to the children and I need to 'distance myself more' from the children. I know this a bad thing and something that undermimes my authority but I feel its hard to maintain behaviour and positive reinforcement without using stickers or yelling like some Mr Hyde esq character when I have to especially with a class so young who need as much support.
    I've observed teachers, I taken phrases and manerisms on board and really tried to better myself but I feel like I need more advice to make this issue right.
    Now I sat down and wrote an action plan for the post chrimbo term and I recognise that things I need to do but what else can I do?
    Thanks for your help in advance :)

2. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    It is very hard to get this right at the start because ultimately you want the children to like your company. However the most important thing for them is to you respect you - that will create a learning environment. Please do not think that the two are exclusive - you can achieve both given time. The bottom line is that all children need to understand your role in the classroom is to facilitate their learning rather than entertain them. Some might say Year 1 is too early for this approach but not in my opinion.
    You have taken good steps to sort this already: collecting phrases and mannerisms from experienced teachers. What are you going to try out next term?
    You say your mentor used the phrase 'too nice to children'. This is an interesting choice of phrase. I'm not sure that he/she means too nice to children, maybe he/she means that your approach could be more focused on learning. I see no problem with teachers being nice (some really need to be nicer!) as long as they maintain the focus as to what role they are carrying out - to educate the child.
    What is in your action plan?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I sometimes mention being 'too nice' when I really mean not being grown up enough. You need to see that you are no longer a child or big brother/ big sister, but a teacher and so need act like a grown up teacher (and it is acting at first). You aren't there to play with/join in with their activities but to enable the children to learn. Does that make sense?

It is hard at first and many people make the mistake of being 'too nice' so don't worry unduly. Just ensure that you take steps to ensure the children do see you as 'grown up in charge' and you will be fine.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Can you give us a couple of examples of what problems are being caused as a result of you being "too nice"? Perhaps that will help us to give some constructive advice.