1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Distance learning TA courses

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by littlemisstickles, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Just an enquiry; has anyone done a teaching assistant qualification through a distance learning company before? The one I am looking it is: http://www.uk-open-learning.com/CartV3/Details.asp?ProductID=85 which is called an "NCFE" qualification.
    Does anyone know if this is recognised by schools and is equivalent to an NVQ?
    I would ideally like to do an NVQ2 but my school can't fund this. I would do it myself at a college but all the courses are during the day when I am needed at school. This sort of course seems ideal as I can do it from home after school and at the weekends at my own pace.
    Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

2. Just an enquiry; has anyone done a teaching assistant qualification through a distance learning company before? The one I am looking it is: http://www.uk-open-learning.com/CartV3/Details.asp?ProductID=85 which is called an "NCFE" qualification.
    Does anyone know if this is recognised by schools and is equivalent to an NVQ?
    I would ideally like to do an NVQ2 but my school can't fund this. I would do it myself at a college but all the courses are during the day when I am needed at school. This sort of course seems ideal as I can do it from home after school and at the weekends at my own pace.
    Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

3. Try the open university. For recognised courses with proper qualifactions at the end of them.
    If you've never heard of the NCFE try looking it up on google. If the only place it finds is the place offering it for sale then you need not trouble yourself with taking that course.
    Why not find out what your local LA looks for when it advertises for T.A's?
    That will give you a better idea of what courses you should be thinking of taking.

4. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

NVQ's are the most widely recognised, then probably Btec. Not so sure about NCFE but I have heard of it. A lot of the child care and health care qualifications are NCFE so it must hold some weight. Make sure its geared towards the age group you work with. When I looked a lot of distance learning courses were aimed mainly at primary and not that relevent to KS3 and 4.

5. I completed the BTEC level 2 through ICS without stepping foot in a school. It was an interesting insight into the role which led to me deciding to regularly volunteer at a local school which, in turn, led to full time employment. [​IMG]

6. Thank you for the replies-as I currently work full time as a TA in a school, a home course seemed appealing so I will definitely look into the Open University and ICS. I hadn't heard of NCFE either until I looked on some websites, they claim it's equivalent to an NVQ?

7. I did a BTEC level 2 with ICS and then a level 3 CACHE with the Teaching Asssistants college. Both were distance learning. The Teaching Assistants college now run a lot more course and their tutor support was great.

8. Hi
    I am currently doing a Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Assistant and I was wondering what books you had when you did your course. Only asking as I am doing the module and Curriculum Delivery and need information on all aspects of this.
    Any advise would be great as got mental block

thank you
    Jo

9. Both my courses came with handbooks and anything else I tended to research on the internet as it was then up to date information as things change so quickly. As long as you quote were you get it from I don't think it matters if it is from a text book or internet.

10. My courses came with handbooks and I used the internet for more up to date information, quoting all the time where I had got it from.

11. I'm looking into doing a distance learning Teaching Assistant course as well but I don't already work in a school - I'm hoping this will give me a better chance of applying for a Teaching Assistant position (I already work full-time in a non education environment so don't really fancy quitting my job or risking it for some volunteer work...unless this is my only option!). Is there a difference between BTEC awards and NCFE awards (that are equivalent to NVQs)? Most of the courses I have found are NCFE awards but the ICS course is a BTEC course - so I'm unsure as to which one to pick. Most current Teaching Assistant jobs that I have seen ask for an NVQ level certificate or equivalent...
    Has anyone who has previous experience with children outside the classroom only done a course like this and managed to get a Teaching Assistant job? If so have you found that this gave you enough experience to start the job?
    Any advice appreciated!

12. Hi, don't know if this will help.I went to the teaching assisstants network meeting in Oct last year where we were all told about how all ta courses were going to be funded:
    • They have changed the qualification, it is no longer NVQ (probably why you can't find it) and the new qualification is meant to be more tailored to what you do.
    • Level 2 qualification are still going to be funded through County Training.
    • Level 3 will only be funded if you are under 25 (there was big gasps in the room, how many ta's are under 25).
    • HLTA is no longer funded at all.
    Try contacting County Training you may get funding and I have always found them very helpful.

13. I am currently studying for my Foundation Degree with the Open University and the first course you complete is called E111 Supporting Learning in Primary Schools. It is a really good course and allows you insight into theories based on children's learning as well.The follow on course E101 Learning Through Enquiry in Primary Schools (which i am currently studying) is work based and asks you to create your own enquiries into a child's learning, observations etc.
    I find that the way of working and learning the OU allows you to do works so well for me.I can study at home when i have free time and then volunteer 1 day a week in a local school so i can gain "hands on" experience as well.

14. I went for the NCFE Level 3 certificate in the end, with Home Learning College. So far it's been great and I have 2 years to complete it so don't feel rushed.

Never knew I could be funded to do a level 3 qualification though! I'm a TA under 25-yes there are a few of us!!

15. Thanks for this information which I found very helpful. I am hoping to start the Foundation degree in Primary Teaching and Learning in October with the OU - registration does not open until March but I have registered my interest.
    I have my HLTA status and work as a full time TA in an independent school. Do you think this would be a good course for me to undertake? I need something which I can do in my own time. Also can you advise me - does the E111 course take 16 hours a week to achieve? I do voluntary work as well and do not want to give that up. My children are older - only hubby at home!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

16. Has anyone ever taken a course with Cambridge Open College or Stonebridge.uk.com?

Or has anyone done any other distance learning level 3 Teaching Assistant course that they would recommend?

Would really appreciate any help!

17. <font size="2">I have been doing the NCFE Level 3 Teaching Assistant Award as a distant learning course through Stonebridge Colleges. I have read quite a few horror stories about them but more positive ones. I finished my degree last summer and I want to do 2 or 3 years working as a TA or cover supervisor before I do a PGCE or GTP, I am looking at this NCFE qualification as something that shows I am trying to continue my professional development and something that will give me more knowledge than I had before. </font><font size="2">I am becoming slightly sceptical about whether employers will value it and it will lead to a job (I hope it does), but if I can use it to show employers that I have a desire and the determination to be involved in education then it's worthwhile. As long as I can use it to get my foot in the door I would be willing to do a different qualification if a school asked me to. </font><font size="2">As for the course itself, I am having a good experience doing it, some things don't make sense for example some questions are worded in peculiar ways and the tutors replies can be a bit vague but the as long as you have common sense you will be able to complete it and hopefully it will lead to a job.</font> <font size="2">One other thing, although it says NVQ equivalent, it actually says that the Level 3 in the title is equivalent to A level and for anyone who is interested level 1 and 2 are GCSE equivalent. </font>

18. @colemere1 I may look into Stonebridge later today then! In a similar mindset/situation to you, want to be a TA for a bit before I do a GTP. Thanks!

19. I would recommend the NCFE Level 3 certificate-it's great so far, cost me about &pound;500. Not doing it at Stonebridge though. On the course I am on it's compulsory to be in a placement or working in a school, I think it's vital to gain as much experience as possible. Before I started working as a TA, I had a few months volunteering in schools, it really really helped.