1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Distance Learning PGCE

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mkoneill91, May 13, 2020.

1. Hi everybody,
    I'm looking into completing a distance learning PGCE with the university of Sunderland. I live & work in Doha. Anyone with any advice or feedback, please feel free to reply. I read in an online forum that others completed it while being paid as teachers in a local school here. I would like to do the same before I move elsewhere.
    Those that have done the course: is it well-accredited? Are there any entry requirements for mathematics, providing transcripts etc.? Thank you!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hello there! Hope the lockdown isn't too uncomfortable for you. My guess is that Ocado and Tesco don't deliver there, so you will have very different lifestyle from the UK at present, with no scrambling for delivery slots.

Well, your query:
    Really should be answered by the University, not by someone on an online forum. So have a good look around their website to get the answer there.

And the most important question is the one that I am asking you. Why are you doing the PGCE?. Because if it is to return to the UK to teach, you should check out if you would be able to gain QTS.

I understand that these courses do not give you QTS, you have to go through a second set of tests, assignents and hurdles, including having someone come to your school to assess you in situ. So although this is, they say, "a globally recognised qualification" it isn't recognised to teach in the UK in state schools.

Keep safe everybody

3. camily

camily New commenter

I did a part time distance learning PGCE about 15 years ago at Northumbria Uni. I don't know if things have changed in the mean time, but I did not rate the support or the course materials. It felt like we were second rate to the full time students studying at the uni. I did get a job easily enough and I don't think school heads considered the qualification to be any less credible than the full time PGCE.
    Good luck with your choices. Hope it works out for you.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't think it's a matter of credibility, but that QTS is a requirement for teaching in state schools.

Keep safe

5. install

install Star commenter

A pgce route in the UK usually involves working in at least 2 schools and teaching at different key stages. On line courses can be very useful as long as they are accredited for use in the UK. So you need to check that out.

Also, are you teaching to the English curriculum in your school?

This may prove useful ( care of TES) :

‘Those new to teaching will quickly realise that the education world is teeming with acronyms, from training routes to teaching methods. In this blog post, we explain three common acronyms that you may come across in England and Wales and how they differ from each other.

QTS- Qualified Teaching Status
    What is QTS?
    Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) is a professional qualification awarded by the National College of Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) when a person can prove that they meet all of the Teachers’ Standards and criteria. QTS is required in England to teach in a state school that is under local authority control and in special schools. It is most commonly gained alongside or as part of a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) qualification, but it can also be awarded on its own.

QTS is recognised in some countries outside of England and Wales, but if you are thinking of teaching abroad once qualified then it is always worth checking with the department for education of a particular country that you intend to teach in.

What are the requirements?
    In order gain QTS, you will need to have an undergraduate degree and GCSEs of level 4/grade C or above in Maths and English (you will also need grade C in Science if you plan to teach at a Primary level). You will need to pass the Professional Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy as well. Prepare for your skills tests using our free skills clinics.

How can I gain QTS?
    QTS can be achieved through both school-led and university-led initial teacher training, some of which are explained in this handy infographic.

One route, which is a great way for unqualified teachers to become qualified without leaving the school they know and love, is Tes Institute's Straight to Teaching programme. The course helps you with QTS preparation by creating a personalised, experience based programme, unique to you and your school. Once you meet all of the Teachers’ Standards and have a sufficient amount of teaching experience, you will then arrive at Tes Institute’s Assessment Only route to gain QTS.

If you already have substantial teaching experience and feel that you meet the Teachers’ Standards you can follow the Assessment Only route to gain the qualification, which takes just 12 weeks.

Find out more about Assessment Only

PGCE- Post Graduate Certificate in Education
    What is PGCE?
    A PGCE is an academic qualification awarded by a Higher Education Institution. It is typically awarded alongside QTS in the UK as the result of teacher training.

A PGCE can be gained through a variety of teacher training routes from University-led teacher training courses and school centred routes like School Direct and SCITTs that partner with a University. This course is available at both primary and secondary levels.

All applications for PGCE programmes are handled by UCAS Teacher Training, although it is usually possible to speak directly to PGCE initial teacher training providers regarding the number of places available and the best ways to apply.’

Last edited: May 14, 2020