1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by hails94xx, Oct 10, 2018.

1. hails94xx

hails94xx New commenter

hello all,
    I’m currently studying BA childhood studies and doing my third year dissertation.
    I have ideas however I’m struggling to put it together as a question and the questions I do put together are too broad :(
    Any help would be appreciated?

So I definitely want to base my dissertation on Autism as it’s a topic I have experience with and I enjoy reading about.
    So the idea I have is currently:
    - teachers perspectives from both mainstream and SEN schools on which school is better suited to their needs. Whether children with autism should continue to be taught in inclusive education in mainstream or be taught in sen schools?
    Any other ideas about other routes would be great :)

2. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I think the comparison of teacher views is an interesting one and is probably doable. The tricky thing will be finding two gatekeepers at two schools who will permit you access to survey their staff.

If your literature trawl throws up prior research on how the two types of schools appear to benefit children in different ways, you could survey around those topics to see if teachers agree.

hails94xx likes this.
  3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I teach in a school which specializes in teaching students with autism. PM me as I maybe help further.

4. Freckles108

Freckles108 New commenter

Sounds like an interesting topic, but still quite broad! It might be tricky to research as for some autistic children special schools will be the best place and for others mainstream schools.

What about looking at a specific aspect of schooling that supports autistic learners - the strategies used or how the environment might help or hinder learning? You could compare the teaching strategies used in a mainstream school to a special school, or look at how similar strategies could be implemented in different ways?

5. hails94xx

hails94xx New commenter

Yeah that’s what I was thinking! all my ideas are too broad but thanks for the advice - You’ve gave me a lot to think about! I’ll try and limit it to one aspect of learning :)

6. Freckles108

More than happy for you to pm me if you want to run through any of your ideas further :)

hails94xx likes this.
  7. hails94xx

hails94xx New commenter

How do I pm? I’m new to this site haha

8. Freckles108

You click on your name in the top right hand corner, then click on conversations, then start a new conversation

9. hails94xx

hails94xx New commenter

Yeah I’ve been looking for a while but there’s no option anywhere to start a new conversation :(