1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by xsaymax081, Aug 21, 2018.

1. xsaymax081

xsaymax081 New commenter

Hello,
    I’m going into my third year and need ideas on what topic I should base my dissertation on. I preferably want to base it on primary schools within the UK. I was thinking of some ideas such as children with disabilities or EAL Children or outdoor learning but I do not know what I want to do my research on. I would be grateful if you could help me come up with some ideas or any current education issues that has quite a bit of research on it to do my dissertation on. Many thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You need to think about how easy it is to find information on whatever topic you choose. Do /will you have access to children with dsabilities? Or to chidren who have EAL? Has there already been a lot of research about the area you're interested in.

Whatever you choose it need to be something you are genuinely nterested in. You will be spending a lot of time on this and even if you'r interested at some point it may become a chore, but even more so if we were to suggest an area which you yourself are passionate about.

3. xsaymax081

xsaymax081 New commenter

Yeah I completely agree but at the moment I don’t actually have that many ideas so I was hoping to get some tohelp to see if I like those ideas

4. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Do something that interests you and something there is lots of high quality literature on. My first thoughts are something along the lines of supporting children with mental health or anything to do with ability grouping and how it affects attainment. A big issue is teacher workload and teacher stress. Look at the teacher standards and think about what would benefit you. Anything SEN-related would be great, there is an argument that trainee teachers don't receive enough SEN training and struggle to help SEN children in class. Your ideas of outdoor learning, EAL, children with disabilities are all good but crucially, make sure there is a lot of research on whatever you decide to study.

xsaymax081 likes this.