1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation topic.. HELP!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by amandalawford1991, Oct 9, 2015.

1. amandalawford1991

amandalawford1991 New commenter

I'm currently on my third year of my degree in education and working full time in a reception class in a primary school. I have to complete my research proposal for my dissertation by December and am struggling to come up with ideas for my question/topic. Ideally it would be something to do with reception, as it will be easier to access than having to move into different year groups. Any help and ideas would be really appreciated! :)

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You could choose any number of things, but you will enjoy it more (and probably produce a better dissertation) if you choose an area that particularly interests you. We can't help with that part. If you give us some suggestions we might be able to come up with possible topics for research.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Completely agree with kartoshka. What interests you from your studies? Has anything really got under your skin? Is there anything you really want to learn more about?
    Throw some ideas our way and lots of people here can probably help you firm it up.

4. amandalawford1991

amandalawford1991 New commenter

Thank you. Well I previously did a study on how multi-sensory activities can help boys learning of numbers. I did activities such as numbers in foam, dinosaur swamp etc. Obviously I can't repeat this and it was only a 3000 word study (this one is 8000). however I did like the idea of doing actual action research, where I implement something and can look at results through assessment of the children before and after. Not sure what else i could look at without doing the same sort of thing again and self plagiarising.
    Saying that, I have been thinking about something to do with the starting age of children into formal education in the uk and whether or not it is appropriate (4/5). Could compare to other countries and i suppose interview teachers.. Not exactly sure where to take it but I really like the initial idea! Any thought on this would be really good.

I also considered looking at the difference between summer and winter born children in reception..again, I'm not sure exactly where I would go with it. This idea slightly worries me as someone else is also doing this, so I'm worried about them being compared and potentially too similar.

Any tips would be amazing!!

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Great you have an interest in action research. So, how about looking at your baseline data and seeing where the any gaps or if any groups of children are not doing as well as their peers? This should guide what your research could be. It's a practical way to improve your own practice and support children to make progress.
    So can you describe your baseline assessments in a nutshell?