1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation - The Literacy Hour

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkxstarsx3, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hello, I am currently doing my dissertation. My question is, How inclusive is the literacy hour? and im doing this by looking at teachers views on how inclusive the literacy hour is and what they think about the literacy hour. I ran this by my supervisor who said this was ok to do. But when i have emailed schools they have said that they no longer do the literacy hour, and that the literacy hour has not been in use for some time now. My supervisor was un aware of this, and told me to look on the DCSF website and national literacy stratagy website to see more information which i have not been able to find. Could you please let me know if you have any information of whether this is still part of the curriculum? or whether its down to the individual school. The most recent news I have been able to find on it aswell is in 2005. My research needs to be contemporary so I am worried that this is not going to be and I am not going to be able to get a good grade! It is too late to now change the topic.
    Thank You

2. Hello, I am currently doing my dissertation. My question is, How inclusive is the literacy hour? and im doing this by looking at teachers views on how inclusive the literacy hour is and what they think about the literacy hour. I ran this by my supervisor who said this was ok to do. But when i have emailed schools they have said that they no longer do the literacy hour, and that the literacy hour has not been in use for some time now. My supervisor was un aware of this, and told me to look on the DCSF website and national literacy stratagy website to see more information which i have not been able to find. Could you please let me know if you have any information of whether this is still part of the curriculum? or whether its down to the individual school. The most recent news I have been able to find on it aswell is in 2005. My research needs to be contemporary so I am worried that this is not going to be and I am not going to be able to get a good grade! It is too late to now change the topic.
    Thank You

3. The 'Literacy Hour' went out of the window with the introduction of the new framework.

4. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

I don't know anyone who still does this, I know I haven't done it in the suggested format for at least 8 years. I'm amazed that your supervisor did not know this and I would suggest that you go back to them and argue the case that as your research needs to be relevant that you need to change your question. Let us know what happens!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you really can't change your dissertation, you could look at it with the angle of the 'success' of the Literacy hour? Did it improve standards & if not what was it replaced by?