1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation on the use of technology in a nursery/preschool

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by alina02, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hello,

I am a third year undergraduate student working on my dissertation and I am looking at the use of technology in a nursery. Specifically, I am going to compare how a computer is used to deliver the EYFS in a private and a state-funded nursery. In addition to interviews with teachers and observations with the children, I wanted to look at school policy provisions regarding the use of technology. However, I was told by one of the nurseries that their policy doesn't mention anything about technology as the children don't have access to online material.

I was wondering if you could inform me about school policies on technology in your nursery/preschool and would greatly appreciate it if you could also tell me how they relate/affect your practices.

Thank you very much in advance.

Alina

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

are you sure you weren't talking to one of the children? I can't make any sense of that as an answer or how indeed it realtes to the question you put....
    Our ICT and AIU policies cover nursery as much as any other part of the school, we wrote the policy to cover the practice rather than the other way round by the way. We consider the ICT curriculum to be a pupil entitlement throughout the school.

3. Thank you for your reply.
    Sadly, I was talking to the manager of the nursery (the privately owned one). What she said is that the use of technology (toys, computer, etc) is part of their everyday routine so their policy doesn't make any provisions regarding it. I have asked to see their nursery policy anyway and was told that she needs to get permission first so no answer yet.
    From your answer I understand that you speak on behalf of a state-funded school. Am I right or is this an awful generalisation? Would you mind if I message you to ask some more information about your policy?