1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation ideas

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by joannaansell1971, Jul 22, 2018.

1. joannaansell1971

joannaansell1971 New commenter

Hi,
    I have recently completed my Foundation degree and am progressing to the BA top up year. Looking for ideas for the dissertation. For my research proposal I did gender bias in children's storybooks which I really got into. Not sure whether to do Autism and links with encopresis as has been a struggle with my own son or to do phonics and early reading schemes. Stuck for ideas, hoping someone can help :)

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

The effects of target setting and assessment on children's mental health.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Is homework beneficial? If so, how much is the optimal amount for each year group and what types of homework are most effective?

4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Phonics/encopresis/autism - good options to choose from. I think the issue less explored will allow you some free thinking and associations that the others, perhaps, may not.

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Ability grouping mainly in maths would be good or you could look into how to support children with mental health issues. Research something that will help you in the future and make sure there is lots of literature for your chosen topic.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. fluffy81212

fluffy81212 New commenter

Your dissertation requires objectivity so while it is important to be passionate about the subject you choose I would be wary of anything too close to your heart. I am a qualified coach and just leaving working with uni students to become a primary teacher but I know a bit. What I would reccomend is to write a list of things that interest you then go through your list comparing each one and only keeping the top 3. Then read 3 articles on each one. If there is no info then it might be too challenging but you should then have 9 ideas in areas that interest you. Use this to inspire your own brainstorm.