1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation Ideas: Play

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Hbrennan323, May 6, 2017.

1. Hbrennan323

Hbrennan323 New commenter

Hi,

I need to have my proposal form submitted for my dissertation by the end of next week! I am a Primary Education student and my favourite area throughout my placements has definitely been in the Foundation Stage.
    I had been really struggling to come up with ideas, but I have since decided that I definitely want to do something based on learning through play, as it is something that really interests me.
    However, I'm really unsure as to what aspect I want to look at. The following are some of the ideas that I have had:
    - The extent to which children can develop early mathematical skills through play.
    - The possibilities for developing language and communication skills through play.
    - How play can influence the personal, social and emotional development of a child.

Has anyone had any experience of writing based on any of these areas? Or suggestions on another angle in which I could look at play based learning? Or even any advice on whether or not they would be a good idea for a dissertation? All 3 are definitely aspects that I would be interested in and would enjoy researching and writing about. I am just really struggling to decide on one, and would really appreciate any advice that anyone could give me in relation to this.

Thanks.

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Your 3 options are all good but have all been done a million times before. Not to say you shouldn't do them, as you'll put your own slant on them, and there is a good body of existing evidence you can draw on.

You could perhaps try to narrow these options down a bit more by looking at certain groups of pupils eg LAC, SEN, boys, girls, travellers.....

If you're set on doing play why not research a few authors and see if anything grabs you. I'm sure you will be able to change your dissy slightly as time goes on - my final product that I handed in didn't look anything like the original title I submitted in my proposal!