1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation Ideas: Play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hbrennan323, May 6, 2017.

1. Hbrennan323

Hbrennan323 New commenter

Hi,

I need to have my proposal form submitted for my dissertation by the end of next week! I am a Primary Education student and my favourite area throughout my placements has definitely been in the Foundation Stage.
    I had been really struggling to come up with ideas, but I have since decided that I definitely want to do something based on learning through play, as it is something that really interests me.
    However, I'm really unsure as to what aspect I want to look at. The following are some of the ideas that I have had:
    - The extent to which children can develop early mathematical skills through play.
    - The possibilities for developing language and communication skills through play.
    - How play can influence the personal, social and emotional development of a child.

Has anyone had any experience of writing based on any of these areas? Or suggestions on another angle in which I could look at play based learning? Or even any advice on whether or not they would be a good idea for a dissertation? All 3 are definitely aspects that I would be interested in and would enjoy researching and writing about. I am just really struggling to decide on one, and would really appreciate any advice that anyone could give me in relation to this.

Thanks.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Could you look at the Characteristics of Effective Learning through play? I'm not sure what you would do but they are key learning skills so promoting these is vital.

Sorry, I dont thnk I'm being very helpful but as EYFS teacher I knw how critical these are.

3. Hbrennan323

Hbrennan323 New commenter

No you're being very helpful! I had actually thought of this, but then I thought it might be too broad? Would I need to narrow that down to the effective characteristics of one type of play e.g. role play/sand play? Our word limit is 6,000 words so I don't want to take too much on board as I want to be able to analyse what I'm writing about in detail, and I think that this is something you could literally write a full book on! Any ideas on how I could narrow it down?

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

You could select one of the characteristics and look at how the environment support this or the adults role in supporting this?