1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation help: Risky play outdoors and indoors

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by brn08, Oct 14, 2019.

1. brn08

brn08 New commenter

Hi I am currently starting my final year of BA Education and am struggling to specify my research questions for my dissertation.

I have always been interested in play and how children in the early years learn through play and I have recently read about the benefits of risk taking in outdoor play. However as there is so much literature on this I am thinking about possibly looking at risky play in an outdoor setting as well as an indoor setting to see whether children can gain the same affordances for play in an indoor setting.

I was thinking of conducting observations of children in their outdoor play and indoor play to identify whether they engage in risky play in both settings and I was also thinking of getting the teachers perceptions of risk taking in outdoor play (questionnaires) to see whether they would be more confident in allowing children to take risks in an indoor environment as opposed to outdoor.

I am struggling to specify some research questions around my ideas, so any ideas or suggestions would be so helpful! I believe we need around 2-3 research questions and the dissertation is 10,000 words.

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I will actually be doing a presentation on this in a few weeks titled:
    Understanding effective outdoor education in the Early Years.
    The session will consider the benefits of working outdoors with children as well as discuss the importance of challenge and risk taking in ensuring deep levels of learning.

You could look at how risk taking affects the pedagogy of the teachers role when playing outdoors and if it is impacted negatively or positively. It gives you opportunity to discuss the Positives and negatives, draw on your questionnaires on confidence of practitioners outdoors and then develop it into a discussion.