1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation help please! How do you assess speaking and listening in EYFS?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Freybex1, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Hi
    I am a third year speech and language therapy student at Newcastle University and am really interested in investigating collaborative working between SLTs and EYFS teachers in mainstream schools for my dissertation. I have not decided on a specific research question yet, but would appreciate it if some of you had the time to answer a few questions.
    1. In what way (if any) have you changed your practice in view of changes to the EYFS framework which places more emphasis on developing a child's speaking and listening ?
    2. What strategies do you use to develop children's speaking and listening?
    3. What speaking and listening assessments do you carry out?
    4. Do you feel you had enough training in the typical development of children's speech and language in order to feel confident about being able to identify atypical development?
    Thanks very much.

2. Hi,
    We've always had a focus on communication skills, before the new EYFS curriculum came in to being. I have a brief article I wrote recently for a local conference on some of our approaches (song and rhyme and active story telling) - happy to email it to you if you post your email address.
    I find myself acting as a SALT a lot of the time, without any training or support. Even when the local SALT is involved, mostly what we are given are some activities to do with a child - no training etc. Not sure whether these do any good when administered by someone who doesn't know what they are doing!
    K

3. Thank you very much Kath, I have sent you a pm with my email address.