1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation help on the transition from reception to year 1 and the importance of play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lea_g88, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm currently in my final year of university and completing a dissertation on the transition from reception to year 1 and I'm having trouble outlining a particular focus. I am considering looking in to the importance of play and it's continuity in to year 1 and considering carrying out a case study as well. The school I volunteer for however, do not implement any play based learning in year one and they go straight in to curriculum based learning which I also think would be quite interesting to look at in terms of affects and the benefits of continuing play based learning in year 1. They have a very different layout of the classroom in year one as its very formal with set tables and no play corners etc where as reception is obviously very play based so it is a drastic change. I was just wondering of anyone could suggest any publications or books or general advice which might help me. Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance,
    Leanne [​IMG]

2. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Can't really help, sorry, as I'm secondary. However, I strongly advise you to work on your written English skills.

3. Hi Leanne
    I've taught Reception for 4 years, one of which was a mixed age class with yr 1 aswell. You could have a look in the EYFS for any info- I can't think off the top of my head of any good authors but I do have plenty of books in the cellar and could find out god names about play based learning.
    If we think about the massive shock to the system it must be for children to move from a play based learning environment it's only natural that a Year 1 classroom needs to have play elements to keep continuity- the importance of speaking and listening throughout the whole primary curriculum and how many teachers are valuing drama games and activities in literacy show they are still giving children an opportunity to 'play' (but not forgetting also to learn at the same time) up to yr 6. They're still children- they should still be enjoying school not seeing it as a chore.
    I also think if you asked parents views a lot of parents would appreciate knowing their child was enjoying their time at school as long as they know they are making progress.
    I'm going to stop as its sunday night but if you have any more questions reply to this post. And also don't listen to narky comments from stressy secondary teachers who are just jealous as they dont get to 'play'- this forum is here for us to help each other out. Good luck I know dissertations can be stressful!
    <address>
    </address>

4. Thank you so much for your reply! I think I am going to go ahead with this focus as the Year 1 class I volunteer for have a very different layout with barely any play based continuity. I think that would be quite interesting to look at and compare in terms of the differences. I think I will prepare some questionnaires for parents as well to gain their perspective!
    And thank you as well for what you said regarding the previous comment made before yours. It did make me feel very belittled considering I only joined today and wanted some advice.
    Thank you very much for all your help again, I really appreciate it!

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

I did this for my dissertation. My angle was to look at the recommendations of Ofsted's and NFER's research on the transition from YR-Y1 and then research if schools were implementing it.
    In this way I didn't repeat research that had already been done. I observed practice in 3 different schools, interviewed staff and sent questionnaire to parents.
    If you need any literature I can send you some, just PM me.

6. Hi I know this was a little while ago, but could you possibly send me any info you have as i am struggling to write my paper. Thank you.

7. hurny

hurny New commenter

I have sent you a personal message.

8. hello, ive never used the forums here before but decided to check them out as im now writing my dissertation , also on early childhood transitions, i saw your post and wondered if any of the info you received was good ? if so could you please forward on to me as im struggling to find recent articles to support my research. Cheers

9. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Most of the literature you would have read will emphasis the importance of a play based curriculum in children's learning .What happens to this play and the impact on children's learning especially from Reception into Year1 and possibly Year2 (if there is any?) would make an interesting study.As with any research you must ask your HT permission before using your setting .The pressures on teachers to 'get results' may be the reason why the Year1 classroom appears more formal.

10. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

whoops ,just realised this post is a year old! hope all went well with the dissertation

11. Hey there!
    I'm currently doing my dissertation on transitions from eyfs to KS1 and the factors that influence the experience. Could you send my any literature around transitions I would be most grateful!
    Many thanks!