1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation help on SEN

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by kat298, Oct 1, 2010.

1. HI there,
    I am currently in my final year at university studying for a degree in primary education and so am now having to begin my dissertation!
    I have decided to focus on SEN as this is a subject I am very interested in, more specifically I want to look at teaching strategies used to support children with SEN in both mainstream and special needs schools. Do you think this topic will be alright to write about?
    Any advice is welcome about this as I am open to any suggestions.
    Also, if anyone knows of any good journals or books around the subject of strategies used for SEN pupils I would really appreciate it.
    Thank You x x

2. Fuzzybrainjo

Fuzzybrainjo New commenter

Are you wanting to look at the strategies schools use to progress the children on the SEN register or look at classroom strategies different teachers use to help support children in their class with SEN? You could look at the different wave strategies that are used, i.e. wave 1, 2 and 3, if and why they are effective? I
    think you will also find strategies and intervention differ widely from school to school depending upon the training staff have received and the resources available. It may help to focus on one need type i.e. ASD or SLCN because if you are comparing mainstream to special schools this will help to narrow your comparison and help with your reading.
    I don't know how many words your dissertation is but I recently had to write an essay on SEN policy and changing role which was 4000 words and it was easy to go over the word count as it is such a large area. Once you get into it you end up going off at all different tangents.

The Index for Inclusion may be one place to start for strategies, Jean Gross has written quite a bit. It may be worth as your ideas are still quite loose, to find a few books and read around the ideas before coming up with your title/study. This may help get it a bit clearer.
    Good luck, SEN is a big area.

3. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

I agree with the previous poster. This is a massive area I think you need to really focus your dissertation on one specific element. Maybe have some time in a special school, SEN unit or observe a SEN child in a mainstream classroom. This may help to focus your mind on what exactly you want to look at. Than come back and post here and we will all be happy to help.

4. As a TA4 in a special school I too think it would be wise to focus on one area. ASD is a huge area and would give you plenty of scoop to write about. The ASD spectrum ranges from those who appear to have no learning difficulties and are potenal university material but have to be reminded to eat and can't get themselves on and off a bus to those who have severe learning and behavioural problems.
    I'm sure the National Autistic Society would be able to provide you with lots of information. I also agree that there are lots of strategies and different schools use different ones. It may be useful to spend some time in a special school espcially one that has discrete ASD provision.
    Regarding strategies we use P.E.C.s, Picture Exchange Communication, some of the TEACH strategies, mainly the visual timetables, ELKLAN which is based around language acquirement and how children learn. We use signalong sign language and to keep the little darling in order we use the principles of TEAM TEACH.
    As a school we provide out reach to main stream schools. the aim is to show them how they can intergrate these strategies into thier schools. They work for all children not just those with an SEN.
    Good luck with your dissertation
    Tracey

5. Fuzzybrainjo

Fuzzybrainjo New commenter

The focus from the gov over the last 10 years has been towards inclusion for children into mainstream. Giving the parents the right for their child to attend a mainstream school if that is there wish. I think that is why when you speak to some older teachers some, not all, are of the opinion that children with more severe special needs shouldn't be in mainstream. I know this is the opinion of some teachers in my school.
    I think you may find that many teachers feel that there is a lack of training when teaching children on the Autistic spectrum. The IDP material aims to plug the gaps but hasn't been very effective in my school.
    It is also worth reading the Ofsted reports on SEN and teachernet.com is good for gov documents it can direct you to publications from the gov.

6. Thank you all for your help, thanks Fuzzybrainjo I shall def have a look on teachernet.com and also look for the government articles about SEN.
    Yes I am hoping to create some questionnaires for teachers in mainstream and special needs schools to fill out to get their opinions of how much training they have had to teach SEN children and then interview some teachers to go further in this topic.
    Thank you! I shall let you know how I get on! x x : )

7. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

If you're planning to focus on ASD, then TeacherNet hosts an invaluable series of documents, each dedicated to one National Curriculum subject and the implications of ASD for teaching and learning that subject:

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/sen/teacherlearningassistant/ASDKS34/

Although the series targets key stages 3 and 4, there is ample and relevant guidance for other key stages. All the subject departments in my mainstream school welcomed these publications because they concentrated on classroom and subject-specific issues of the ASD condition.

8. Hello :)

I was just wondering do you still have this dissertation available, I would be very interested in reading it if possible as I am very interested in this area of research.

Thank you, I'll look forward to your reply :) x

9. I am currently thinking about dissertation topics and will probably choose to research SEN, was this dissertation still available to read? I have read a few older friends work and would love to read this about research Autism as it is something I have not studied in depth. Thanks, x

10. Hi everyone,

This forum has been very helpful in thinking of a topic for my dissertation! I am currently in my third year studying education studies. I would love to research into autism, perhaps the inclusion of autistic children or teaching strategies used to support autistic children. I have attempted to contact many schools to volunteer in the new year but as of yet I've had no replies! Very nervous as I would love to be able to observe within a school or even interview SEN support/ teachers who teach children with SEN. I am wondering if anyone has any advice regarding gathering participants?? Additionally, if the above dissertation is available to read then please let me know!! Many thanks for your help :)

11. sarah_12_92

sarah_12_92 New commenter

12. sarah_12_92

sarah_12_92 New commenter

Hi I was looking at what you was doing for your dissertation and I am doing the same thing. Any ideas of what research to use
    Thanks

13. Flanks

Flanks New commenter

You might benefit from starting a new thread Sarah, as these are zombie threads.

14. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

and sending the OP a PM (called a conversation on this forum)

15. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Great and v interesting topics. Two main pieces of advice:
    Keep asking your tutors! That’s what you’re paying them for!
    Be very specific eg ‘How effective is the use of PECs for children (non-verbal) in the EYFS’?.