1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation - does drama improve/encourage boys writing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ebullock, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Hi,

I am really struggling to get my head around my dissertation. I have got an idea of working with 2 groups of children in year 1. one group will be asked to write their own version of a familiar tale with no input, the other group will have a drama session with me prior to being asked to write their version of the tale.

But i don't know how to introduce this the 2 groups or how to assess it as evidence for my dissertation. Any helps would be great cos running out of time...arrr!!!

2. Hi,

I am really struggling to get my head around my dissertation. I have got an idea of working with 2 groups of children in year 1. one group will be asked to write their own version of a familiar tale with no input, the other group will have a drama session with me prior to being asked to write their version of the tale.

But i don't know how to introduce this the 2 groups or how to assess it as evidence for my dissertation. Any helps would be great cos running out of time...arrr!!!

3. Does it have to be year 1? Year 2 might be better as they should have more grasp of writing skills.

Choose children carefully. put some reluctant writers/ children who find it hard to think of ideas in each group. Get a "baseline" writing sample for each child - annotate and level it to NC levels.

Choose a book (pref big book if one available) of your familiar tale and read it with the children. 3 little pigs/billy goats gruff good for repetitive language. read through book with children in group 1. Tell them they are going to write the story. Send off to write out the story.

Group 2. Can read through the book with group first or just run drama session. Make it as lively as possible and get the children really involved. you could turn them into the experts by telling them you have a problem. you need to teach 3 little pigs story to another class but you don't know it. get children to tell you and act out story. ask children to write out story for class book/wall display/web site etc. if you take photos of drama session you could run as slideshow or display on table while children are writing to remind them.

Take writing samples, mark, annotate and level then compare with baseline samples.

you could also ask chn for their views on writing before and after. eg; do they enjoy writing? do they think their writing is good?

hope this is some help!

4. year 5 experience - 17 boys 9 girls and lots of drama

5. I have written a number of essays/action research projects on this topic for my PGCE and MEd. I would be willing to let you have a copy of them under the assumption that they will be used for reference only. There is also a great deal of literature/research on this topic already. If you want them then let me know your email address. If not, enjoy your research - this is a fascinating and worth while topic.

6. Hi, I'm writing a masters assignment based on improving (primary) boy's literacy through drama. Having searched the TES site I came across your message and was wondering if I could be really cheeky and have a look at your assignments?! I know your originial message was posted quite some time ago, but I am struggling with how to introduce the topic. Any help would be wonderful

7. I have been involved with using drama to help develop boys (in particular) writing and literacy as a TA. I am currently doing a PGCE and am using this subject for an assignment. I noticed your blogg on the TES and although it is over 2 years old I wondered if you still had any research or info available for reference. If so I would be grateful if you could pass anything on which would substantiate my own experience and findings.

Many thanks
    Julie Hockenhull

8. Hello there,
    Its been a few years since your post was up but i am currently doing my dissertation and looking at boys literacy - just wondering if you would be willing to forward your work (for reference only) as i am struggling to find books and reference materials. Would be real grateful, Soraya.

9. HI,

I AM NOT AT UNI OR STUDYING AT THE MOMENT, I AM A PRACTISING TEACHER WHO IS LOOKING TO RAISE BOYS ACHIEVEMENT IN MY CLASS, SPECIFICALLY IN THE AREA OF WRITING. I WOULD BE REALLY GRATEFUL TO READ ANY RESEARCH OR TO HAVE ANY IDEAS OR INFORMATION YOU MIGHT LIKE TO SHARE. ALSO DO YOU KNOW OF ANYBODY WHO COMES IN TO CLASSES IN THE NORTH EAST AREA TO DELIVER DRAMA SESSIONS, AS WE WERE THINKING OF DOING AN INTENSE WEEK WITH THE PUPILS?

THANKS
    LEANNE

THOMASLEANNE35@YAHOO.CO.UK

10. I am writing a dissertation on boys and their attitude to writing for the conclusion of my BA studies. I have just read your
    Message on the TES site and like the other correspondents would appreciate any info on your topic if appropriate. I also just need it for reference purposes only.

My email address is hav_mak@hotmail.com

Thank you in advance .

11. Hi there, I am a BA student thinking about doing my research on boys and their low achievemnet in writing. I was thinking about year 5 group of boys and their attidudes towards writing and reasons for low achievemnet. please help with any suggestions my email address is fahmed17@hotmail.co.uk

12. Hi, I realise that you posted the above blogg some time ago, but I am doing a research project on the power of drama to improve writing and was wondering if you would be able to email me any research or info on the subject for reference. I'd really appreciate you sending me anything that you think would be useful. My email is jaor3@yahoo.com.
    Thanks

13. Hi I have just read your posts (albeit 2007) and was wondering if you still have your work upon the impact of drama on boys writing. I am currently doing an assignment on this topic and it would be great to see someone elses work. If this would be possble my email is alexander.jm.ashcroft@gmail.com. Thank you, Alex

14. Hi I have also just read your posts and am currently researching how drama can improve primary children's writing. I would be grateful for any research or papers other people have found/ written for reference and ideas. My email address is h.marsden7@ntlworld.com also if I can add anything for anyone else on any papers i have found useful i will. Thanks

15. hi i know this is from years ago! but just searched this topic and was wondering if you could let me know what sort of things you did/read? :)