1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissertation - Ability Grouping

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by KeshyF, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hello everyone!

I'm currently researching for my dissertation topic and wondered if anyone would like to input. I'm looking at the different types of ability grouping in maths, particularly primary school level. If anyone would like to help me out could you please answer these questions?

1. How are your children grouped? (e.g. within class, streaming, ability grouped, mixed ability?

2. Do you find these effective?

3. Does it help you meet the needs of all the children in your class?

4. If given the option, would you change the way you grouped your children? (if so, what way?)

Thank you!

2. Hello everyone!

I'm currently researching for my dissertation topic and wondered if anyone would like to input. I'm looking at the different types of ability grouping in maths, particularly primary school level. If anyone would like to help me out could you please answer these questions?

1. How are your children grouped? (e.g. within class, streaming, ability grouped, mixed ability?

2. Do you find these effective?

3. Does it help you meet the needs of all the children in your class?

4. If given the option, would you change the way you grouped your children? (if so, what way?)

Thank you!

3. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I'm a trainee but I thought I'd let you know what I've seen so far.

Ability groupings within class, whole class input with differentiated q's. I think it's effective to a point as each group can have differentiated work, but I think whole class input can be a bit too mid stream, not really pushing the more able and sometimes over the heads of the least able. I've seen a lot of the LA copying the HA answers onto their whiteboards so it looks like they are joining in.

If I were to choose my personal best case scenario, I would ability stream across a key stage, because then each child would get the input they need at their level, I think this could make a huge difference to some children, although it would have to be carefully managed so that children didn't feel they were stepping back if they had to go and work with a lower aged class, maybe if it were put to them that they were needed in order to help the younger students...just thinking out loud now!

Good luck with that, I too am about to start writing a maths assignment...trawling through journals and books is hurting my brain!

4. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Grrrr google chrome removed all my paragraphing!