1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dissapointing interview day.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cc2lwa, May 21, 2017.

1. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Almost three years ago I was made redundant - my organisation folded, so I went back into school teaching. Since then I have been really lucky and have had plenty work coming my way. I have been in two schools on a longer term basis in that time. I am really thankful for all the work coming my way as I know a lot of people have difficulty finding supply. I am just wondering if its ageism, (I am 54), or I am branded as supply - possibly why the interview day scenario went terribly wrong the other day. (By the way, I am still working at the current school where I have had the interview).
    I was amongst a number of applicants and we had a few things to do as part of the day on a rotation basis. Later on in the day, one of the staff asked one of the applicants if they could teach their lesson for one hour instead of a half hour, five minutes later just before my interview slot I was told they had decided not to take my application further, I was giving some feedback but it was quite vague and it was quite assuming on their part, and I really feel they hadn't read my personal statement at all. I was too shocked to challenge and just left the school.
    Considering I am a recognised face in that school and have worked really hard for at least 8 months on two separate occasions. I am wondering was this really brutal treatment or is this just the norm? because I left the school feeling a bit inferior to everyone else - at least the others were given the chance of an interview. I put so much work into prepping for that interview. I just would have been happier interviewed and then I could have said it was completely fair. What do you think? Excuse the typo in the title can't seem to change it!

Landofla likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Would the school have to have paid a finders fee for you ?, that puts lots of schools off.

pepper5 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Sorry you have had a disappointing time with your recent interview.

Peakster may well have identified the problem: the agency's fee that they would have charged the school if you had been hired. That is of course if you were working via an agency.

Schools are notorious for mucking people about and what you experienced isn't right, but it is common.

Schools don't care a hoot about what is fair.

rolysol and Landofla like this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The school might be thinking along these lines.

You are a trusted, reliable and hard working Supply Teacher. The school might be afraid that you would be hard to replace in this role, they might have had difficulty in getting other Supply Teachers of the right calibre in the past, They want to keep you in your current role rather then risk getting poor replacements.

Quite simply, you are too good at being a Supply Teacher to lose. Take it as a compliment although that doesn't help you much.

pepper5 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

I am not sure if the school would have to pay a finders fee, and les25paul - the job vacancy was the one I have been doing on and off for the past 18 month so they know I can do the job, I just think there's an ulterior motive, once I leave in July after my long term supply stint, they are not interested if they every see me again it seems unfortunately. It seems the person they are appointing has something for them. I just couldn't get over how they made me feel that day, it was shocking.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Applying and not getting a job in a place you already work in can be very dispiriting.

I was working on supply in a school I really liked when a job came up and I didn't apply for it because I didn't want the crushing disappointment of not getting it.

Flowers19, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I think @les25paul and @peakster have hit on the two most likely reasons, although it does seem odd that they decided to cancel right at the last moment, and also that they asked another candidate to teach a longer lesson to fill in the time. perhaps the school did not want to dump you until they were sure of some other factor. It could be that they found a cheaper candidate, or someone's friend or relative wanted a job. The hole in the argument that the school wanted to keep you as a capable supply teacher, on which it could rely, is that by treating you with such callous disdain, it is likely to lose you anyway.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Cc

I wouldn't worry to much about it...keep looking and you will find something. You have had plenty of work so you obviously know your job well. I don't think age is a factor as I know teachers in their 60s still teaching and going strong.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

If they don't want you then it's their loss. If they want you in the future on a supply basis, ask for more money. Working hard doesn't necessarily get you anywhere in teaching.

It rather sounds like money is at the centre of there decision. The way they have treated you is rather ineppt. The right hand may not know what the right hand is doing of course....

10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Whoops, their, their, their...

pepper5 likes this.
  11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

This happens, candidates are whittled down during the day, and not all complete the day.

its sad, but don't take it personally, it could be any number of things you had no control over. Interviews are often a bit of a lottery.

Onwards and upwards! x

gingerhobo48, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Thanks so much everyone. I realise in the long run it won't be that important but things like this just kick you in the teeth sometimes. I will brush myself down and start all over, and put a big smile on my face (back to normal).

WildKyogre and pepper5 like this.
  13. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

You never know what's round the corner...could be better!

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Definitely ask for more money and lulu57 is right: you just never know what's around the corner which could be better.

15. WildKyogre

WildKyogre New commenter

I totally know that feeling. Hot drink, junk tv and an early night helps me.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  16. Jolly_Roger1

@cc2lwa: Correct me if I am wrong but looking at your OP gives me the impression that you were withdrawn from the selection process before both your interview and your observed lesson. That is hardly a whittling down process, unless you had been observed teaching while on supply, at the school. If that was the case, the school must have been satisfied with your teaching, or it would not have called you to interview. Given this, it seems that whatever reasons the school had for not proceeding with your application, it was not your teaching ability. perhaps the school placed a lot of emphasis on the 'in tray' tasks.

17. cc2lwa

cc2lwa New commenter

Jolly_roger1, I had quite vague feedback after the lesson observation, and was told the task completion wasn't as good as the other applicants - and that was why they "let me go early". I found out today that the applicant who was asked to teach a lesson for longer, was the one who got the job. I have no doubt now that they knew this applicant was exactly what they wanted, for whatever reason.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger1

I am sorry you have had this experience, @cc2lwa. I t sounds as if the competitor you mention was the favoured candidate, and you just the 'make weight' one.

pepper5 likes this.