1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disruptive child in class - any advice please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taj, Jan 13, 2011.

1. taj

taj

Hi I am a TA and I work with groups of Special needs / low ability children every day. This term I have been given a boy who has the attention span of a gnat. He calls out, fidgets constantly, gets up and down out of his seat, plays with pens etc. which distracts all the others. If I take the things off him, he starts pulling faces or jiggles about which distracts the other kids again! I have tried ignoring him but that that doesn't work because then the other children start complaining that "X is doing such and such." and is stopping them from concentrating.

I follow the behaviour policy which involves time out at the third warning. He goes for time out to another class, then comes back and starts all over again! The teacher I work with is only in her second year of teaching and she has the same problems with him in the afternoon. She hasn't found anything that works with him yet either. She tried giving him some blu tac to hold but that

I think this child has some problem like ADHD as I really think he can't help being such a pain. He also sometimes seems genuinely bewildered when he gets told off for being rude and disruptive. I have spoken to the SENCO and the Head about him but in the meantime I am struggling. Any advice or strategies that might work would be really appreciated please!

2. taj

taj

Whoops not sure why part of my post was missing!
    That should say : She tried giving him some blu tac to hold but that didnt work either as he proceeded to show everyone what he had made and disrupted the class again!

3. Which year is this child ?
    Anyway, I do sympathaise with you as I have been in your situation many times and it is seems almost impossible to get these children to confirm like the others.
    In the past I have given such a child, say 3 targets which they agree with you eg
    1. I will sit with out calling out for 5 minutes (use a timer)
    2. I will not fiddle with a pen.
    3. I will stay in my seat while Miss is talking.
    Each time he manages one of these he gets a tick. Once hes had say x number of ticks in x number of days he selects to do an activity of his choice (from a list devised by you !) such as lego time, drawing, computer etc.
    Make it relatively easy to get the reward and than gradually increase number of ticks.
    Also make him aware that his behaviour has consquences such as 5 minutes of play etc and that HE has CHOSEN to miss play but CHOOSING to misbehave.
    I am always unsure about time out in other classes even though I am sometimes grateful for that !
    If he does have ADHD then he needs a proper assessment and an IEP to support him. I am also concerned that you seem to have been left to deal with him when in fact it is the teacher who needs to take the lead. Not that you are not capable and we have TA's who are superb at dealing with our difficult children and often better than us teachers.
    On tactic that did get me support one year when the Head failed to acknowledge the problem was to take the rest of the class out of the room (mass time out if you like) leaving the pain to get on with it, sending a child to Head to say what was going on and a TA to observe pain from the door. It shocked pain to see he no longer had an audience and the Head into realising I couldn't teach the class with pain left unsupported.

4. ie he needs to get more ticks to get reward.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Give him 3 different coloured pipecleaners to play with. They don't make a noise, and he will be absorbed with them while you are talking and actually teaching.

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

This boy needs help sooner rather than later and so do you. I love the advice given by others here (I never thought of pipecleaners lardylegs!) l and I also think you should investigate support options with your behavioural people at the LA, if not for his sake, for the rest of the class who are suffering as a result.
    My son was in a class with a similar situation so I really sympathise. It wasn't long before we as parents were queueing up to talk to the school about our concerns, and the poor class teacher did not get all the support she really needed.

7. taj

taj

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.