1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disruptive behaviour year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 1Elmer, May 11, 2011.

1. I have 3 boys that make silly noises around the room whenever they're on the carpet. When 1 starts the other does an they distract the whole class so ignoring this doesn't help. How can I combat this? Most of the chn in my class
    Are disrespectful and chat while I'm talking to them. Giving them warnings and time out doesn't help. I'm at the end of my tether and getting stressed out about it. We do golden time and they miss play but it still doesn't work. There r so many disruptive chn I can't keep up with who I've given warnings to. How do u get their attention on the carpet too? My strategies don't work anymore. I really need some advice. Please help. Thank you. X

2. Make expectations clear and consistent.
    Never make an empty threat.
    Monitor sanctions. I have a clear system so that I know exactly who is missing time.
    Change strategies to suit the class.
    Persevere. If they've seen you are giving up they will keep messing around.
    If I have certain children that are the ones making a noise or talking when I am talking they must stand up. I refuse to talk until there is silence and the children know that if they so much as whisper when I'm talking it is instant time out.

3. Sunshine - well behaved children
    Stormcloud - badly behaved children
    Some people type up names and move them around, with a rainbow in between for everyone at the start of each day, some just write names in pen when appropriate. Works with pre-schoolers so should work with Y1 and will help you remember who's had the warnings.

4. How do u monitor who has had warnings if u r trying to teach too? What r ur strategies that u use at the moment if u dont mind me asking?

5. I don't have room at the front of my class for this but I think I'll move them back to the front on a movable flipchart so I can do it in an instant. I try to get my ta to do it but I dont think it's working.

6. I've got Y4 but have a daughter at nursery and work in a through primary. Generally, we all write names on the board, even in the middle of a task. In fact, I find it more effective if I have to stop talking and turn around to write a name on the board! They tend to quiver! With younger children who can't read so well, then a card with their name and a picture on (same as their cloakroom peg label if possible) tends to get their attention!

7. We have a sad face for warnings. If they are on the sad face it is a warning. If they do not improve their behaviour or repeat the unwanted behaviour they have time out. When I was in year 1 time out was always instant.

8. I've got a disruptive yr 1 class too. They have not benefitted from all of this time off over Easter, we need a good routine back.
    I use traffic lights, 1 warning - orange, if behaviour continues - red then miss playtime/golden time.
    I have "Super Sitter" stickers from sticker factory for the good children, but only the first 2 ready get a sticker, then if I notice particularly good sitting through an input I give out extra stickers.
    Each child has a carpet place and they must sit in those places every time we are on the carpet - I keep a written copy of this next to my chair so I can check, and my PPA cover knows too. I regularly change this when needed.
    Just persevere! If a child realises you're not going to back down, they should get the message.
    Good luck!

9. do you have talk partners? I have found that this really helps as they all get a chance to talk and they don't feel the need to be so disruptive. It also means that they change partners regularly and can be with children who will model good behaviour. They are more focused on thier partner and are less likely to pay attention to others. After talking with thier partner I will often ask them to tell me what their partner has contributed. This means that they have to be listening to others in order to provide feedback.

10. Have you tried the football system of yellow and red cards. Have a laminated piece of card in both colours. One warning, write name on a post it note and stick on yellow card, second warning, another named post it on the yellow card. Third warning is name on the red card which results in missed play. On a more positive note, I use 'Good Listening Award' certificates to encourage good behaviour on the carpet. I also do lots of 'who can sit as smart as Jenny? / as quietly as Sam? The red and yellow card thing works particularly well with the boys.

11. I too have had a year 4 class who had a group of children who consistently 'showed off'. They are much better now through a combined range of strategies, including sanctions, praise for 'shining examples' of how to sit, listen, etc. Another very important thing to do is to involve the parent. when speaking to the parent, be very specific about what their child has been doing. 'he is being silly' is not as powerful as 'he made rspberry noises on 5 occasions, in a period of 5 minutes,. When moved he started to poke another child, ... etc' Most parents are very supportive and will sanction children at home or at least talk to them. If parents are not as supportive, I find a home/school book to complete each day by parent, child and teacher works.

12. I really sympathise, my yr 2/3 class are sooooo silly! I've found that sanctions only work for the sensible kids who are having an off moment. the one thnig that gets all of them sitting quietly is raffle tickets for the friday raffle (bag of little rubbishy toys from the £ shop!). Good luck. =)

13. I know it's not linked to this thread, but how do you find Y2/3? I've had mixed 3/4, 4/5 and 5/6 but never 2/3 as we tried not to mix the key stages. KS1 have different assembly times and sometimes have the extra playtime in the afternoon that KS2 do not so it sounds tricky, although I guess different if it's a very small school.

14. comenius

comenius New commenter

Maybe you need to review class rules. Could you do a session with the children discussing what they like about class and what things could be better (hopefully someone will bring up behaviour!). Review old rules and decide if class needs any new ones. Let the children have a say in rewards and sanctions (within reason of course!!). My year 1's seem to respond well if I remind them that they decided on the rules and that its their rules they are breaking.
    Explain why it is so important that they listen carefully on the carpet and state clearly the behaviour you expect and what will happen if you don't get it. Then as others have said be consistent and follow through! Maybe you need a zero tolerance week!!
    Our school policy is one warning, if behaviour persists name on board, if still persists cross by name and finally sent to next year group for time out. This is easy to manage because you don't have to stop, just turn and write name as you continue teaching. Those who do the right thing are praised and get stars for their chart. This system seems to work, once they realise its pretty miserable sitting and being bored in another class they soon sort themselves out as soon as their name appears on the board.
    Try not to shout! Lower your voice rather than shout and say 'thank you' rather than 'please' - you're telling them what is expected not asking them! e.g. 'Sam, lips closed and hands to self, thank you' - in a low firm voice.