1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disrupting public transport in the name of climate change reduction

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Oct 17, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No-one isn't taking the science seriously... though the hyperbolic distortion of the science you engage in is certainly something worthy of challenge... but we aren't taking XR or Thunberg seriously. You just seem content to muddle them up...

peter12171 likes this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Oh, you haven't posted anything to back up that all the world's climate scientists are "probably" wrong.

I was right about that as well then.

3. Scintillant

Well, look above your post for the first example.

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The only good thing is that the planet has a longer span than our species. It's not as though a percentage of our species has been living right and a percentage living wrong.

We're a cack-handed species and we will all go. We can no more "save the planet" than we can save ourselves.

The planet will be fine once we have killed ourselves off.

No matter how inefficient we are at killing ourselves it will come to pass eventually.

I just feel sorry for all the other species we've already wiped out and those we'll take with us.

We're so dumb we think it is like a kitchen fitter who has screwed up fitting a kitchen so we get another kitchen fitter in.

It's better to recognise we don't fit kitchens.

magic surf bus likes this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

From the word go we have left a trail of mass extinctions in our wake. There was no golden age where we lived in harmony with those who shared the planet with us. We moved in, they died out. Look at the timings of prehistoric mass extinctions across each continent and what do they have in common? The arrival of homo sapiens. That includes the extinction of other species of humankind.

All this kerfuffle isn't about saving the planet, it's about saving ourselves, but I don't expect much sympathy from nature given our track record The planet was there long before us and will be there long after us, albeit in a changed form. We're just passing through.

Jude Fawley and BelleDuJour like this.
  6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Your childlike faith in "the science" and "the experts" is touching, in a way. Though, given the track record of experts and scientists, sadly misplaced.

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

Interesting graphic of the earth burning up - which of course it is inside in reality. I was perplexed to notice the literature littered with: might, potentially, could, speculate, impression. Still, nothing that I have read here is new particularly, and was readily under discussion 40 years ago.

Something that you and Extinction Rebellion might take note of from the editorial is:

"Some articles do however emphasise the more tentative nature of the work, and some push back against this overselling of the doomsday scenario, arguing that provoking fear or despair is counterproductive."

border_walker, nomad and peter12171 like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I think the prospect of extinction for our species causes hilarity.

What a dumb a ss species we really are.

9. magic surf bus

I certainly think a good way to guarantee one's own extinction is to p*ss off long-suffering London commuters who are struggling to make the best of overcrowded public transport instead of driving cars in the rush hour. Wrong target.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

11. Scintillant

Don't make me laugh.

Show me a scientific paper from 40 years ago detailing it.

12. Scintillant

Yes. If I am inconvenienced I shall forthwith stop giving a toss about climate change and the future of the planet. That will show them. And my family and children.

13. Scintillant

I am,.of course, fully aware of that and agree. The reality is bad enough that there is no need for doomism.

I also note though that this morning, I was asked for some scientific content regarding such scenarios. So I posted some.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Exactly 40 years ago?

How about the National Academy of Science’s 1979 report, "Carbon Dioxide and Climate: A Scientific Assessment," which found “no reason to doubt that climate change will result, and no reason to believe that those changes will be negligible” from a continuing buildup of carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere. The quote is from p viii.

There are earlier studies. John Sawyer published the study "Man-made Carbon Dioxide and the “Greenhouse” Effect" in 1972. "The increase of 25% CO2 expected by the end of the century therefore corresponds to an increase of 0.6°C in the world temperature – an amount somewhat greater than the climatic variation of recent centuries."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    border_walker and peter12171 like this.
  15. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

16. Scintillant

That iisn't an example of what was claimed. And I am sure you realise that.

17. Kandahar

You can laugh all you like. The substance of your link to 'ideas' was long being 'discussed' 40 + years ago. Whether or not academics were funded to write papers on it I don't know. Maybe you could find out.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  18. magic surf bus

"Over the last 800,000 years atmospheric CO2 levels as indicated by the ice-core data have fluctuated between 170 and 300 parts per million by volume (ppmv), corresponding with conditions of glacial and interglacial periods. The Vostok core indicates very similar trends. Prior to about 450,000 years before present time (BP) atmospheric CO2 levels were always at or below 260 ppmv and reached lowest values, approaching 170 ppmv, between 660,000 and 670,000 years ago. The highest pre-industrial value recorded in 800,000 years of ice-core record was 298.6 ppmv, in the Vostok core, around 330,000 years ago. Atmospheric CO2 levels have increased markedly in industrial times; measurements in year 2010 at Cape Grim Tasmania and the South Pole both indicated values of 386 ppmv, and are currently increasing at about 2 ppmv/year."

Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, US Dept of Energy
    https://cdiac.ess-dive.lbl.gov/trends/co2/ice_core_co2.html

19. Scintillant

It wasn't.

20. Kandahar

I never claimed papers were being written 40 years ago. However, it was being discussed. It is neither new, nor ground breaking, just more recycling and development of ideas.