1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disrupting public transport in the name of climate change reduction

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Oct 17, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Stupid. Counter-productive.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Ir's actually a bit foolish...esp. if people start using their cars more as a result! ;)

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I forgot to say irrational. What next? Will they blockade cycle lanes?

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I think these protests can get taken over by people who just want to cause trouble and don't really care about the original issue. That also rather seems to be what's happened in Hong Kong.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Most of them don't seem to have jobs. Perhaps it breaks the monotony.

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

XR Person 1: We care about the environment. We want to reduce harmful emissions, the use of fossil fuels and persuade people to stop people using their cars so much.
    XR Person 2: Yeah, that's right. Let's disrupt public transport!

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was wondering why they weren't blocking the roads...

Then I remembered... didn't the Blair government put laws in place about blocking roads after the 2000 fuel protests?

8. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

Apparently one of these bell-ends who was protesting on top of a train got pulled off and narrowly avoided a justly deserved kicking.
    Plod, in its new capacity as the PC Gestapo seem more interested finding the guys who pulled him down than in stopped these ****-waffles in the first place. SMH

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Yes it seems the working class (ie those who commute to work) are at last "rising up". The law of the land is clearly not fit for purpose when dealing with these people so ordinary folk are now creating a hostile environment for the eco warriors. More power to them and I must say I am only surprised it has taken until now.

10. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

Yeah they kinda got away with it in west london. But this is Canning town, peoples livelihoods depend on them getting to work on time. Also many more eastern-european working types who don't take sh1t.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Strange how these people claim to be acting for the young... but I showed the train vid to my form and year 11 pshe class... and they laughed and cheered. I was the one defending XR. I doubt XR have spoken to young people and asked what they actually want.

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Idiotic . Extinction Rebellion have no sympathy for me. They will just alienate people and turn them away from their cause.

agathamorse, towncryer and Laphroig like this.
  13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Wait, where have all their supporters here gone? Shouldn't they be here defending the actions because we are all in danger and something needs to be done by someone else soon... Or are they glued to something or in custody?

Laphroig and towncryer like this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It's the Extinction Rebellion Rebellion XRR

Shedman, alex_teccy and agathamorse like this.
  15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

This reminds me of another Vonnegut story worthy of Kilgore Trout.

In Ohio or it could be Wisconsin a passing alien spaceship observes a farmer's barn on fire. The alien lands his craft and heads towards the farmer's house to warn the inhabitants. Sadly, the only way the alien can communicate is by farting and tap dancing. The farmer see the alien heading for the house and goes out to confront him. Farting and tap dancing, the alien is doing all he can to warn the farmer. The farmer brains the alien with a golf club.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Now they're Rosa Parks. Do they never even bother to listen to how they sound to normal people? I'm guessing not...
    [​IMG]

alex_teccy likes this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

And will they care when hard-working people lose their businesses? If a taxi-driver cannot afford to feed his family?

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The guys on the rain have already been fined They were in court this afternoon and there is some rule against which you can not appeal, in relation to the railways. So they did get punished.
    Recently a **** star, for having a sexual 3 some in the tube, in a carriage, got fined as well.I bet they had their mobile phones out for that as well! LOL
    It was never like that when I used to travel a lot on the tube.

alex_teccy likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Now I'm wondering about all the non-sexual 3somes going on out there...

primarycat and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter