1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

disrespect from year 10 boys

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by bigkid, Jun 17, 2011.

1. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Is it the whole class, most of the class or a few individuals in the class?
    I would reward and praise those pupils who are doing the right thing (if any).
    If the lesson is immediately before break or lunch then keep those disrupting the lesson for 1 minute per interruption/disruption. They will of course claim that it wasn't them and that you are being unfair. Ignore that. It's not worthy of response.
    Enlist the support of your line manager to make sure sanctions happen iw.r.t. those lessons that are not immediately before break or lunch.
    Above all you must be consistent and persistent. This sort of behaviour doesn't disappear overnight. You have to make it unrewarding for them to misbehave either by making it more rewarding to behave than to misbehave or by making misbehaving have unpleasant consqeuences for those doing it (or both).
    There are many ways of going about doing that and you know your class and will therefore have better ideas about how to do that than I will.
    Good luck

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Totally agree with bigkid.

If disruption persists I had some success with explaining to the cherubs that they are , by their choice of behaviour, excluding themselves from the lesson. The consequence of this is that they are set work to do but sit in a year 7 art class while doing it. Repeat until disruption disappears. It worked for me.

As HOD I instructed all teachers in my department to issue one warning then send the disruptor to me. Being sent to me was an instant 1 hour after-school detention. This could double depending on the reaction of the disruptor. This also worked very well for me in classes where I had on or two disruptors.