1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Displays/Decorations for classroom

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Doodlem, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hi all

Am returning to work this september from maternity leave and have been trying to plan/prepare as much as i can before the start of term. I'm trying to work out displays and decorations that i can prepare before I can go into school next week to sort my classroom out (my son starts nursery next week so i haven't been able to go in so far). I have a small class of just 13 children, most of which are very high ability.
    I have four large display board and two small ones to decorate plus my outside area - they need to be filled pretty quickly as we have ofsted due any time (nearly a year over due now).

So far i have -
    * a 'welcome to reception' board (children going to pain self portraits of themselves in the first week that can go up here)
    * a woodland board based on The Gruffalo (woodland animals is our first topic)
    * a 'next steps board' with the childrens targets for literacy and maths on and those working at must/should/could (small board)
    * a phonics display
    *a vcop board with high frequency and tricky words and handwriting tips (small board)
    * outside labels e.g. words around sand and water trays, number lines, alphabets, role play key words

I'm still left with one big board empty - something that i can create and put up very quickly that shows the childrens abilities and creativity. Any ideas?
    Also, anything i'm missing?

2. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

Good luck with your return to work!
    If you are looking for any more classroom resources then try www.rainbowresources.co.uk - lots of free resources for FS and KS1[​IMG]

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I have a spare smallish board that I use for displaying the children's own work, be it a scrawl on paper or a masterpiece. (Stuff that doesn't go on a working wall or topic display)
    The only stipulation to displaying it is that the children must explain why they are proud of it and the adult scribes this onto post it and stick it up with work. As they get more proficient they write their own reason.The children call it the Proud Wall. We back it in silver paper with a gold border