1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

displaying pupil grades

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by josephs15, Aug 9, 2011.

1. just wanted opinions please!
    a colleague displays pupils grades for assessments on the classroom wall - i can see the 'healthy competition' benefits of this but also the numerous pitfalls...
    how much of a common pratice is it? do you agree with it?

what would Ofsted make of it???
    any thoughts appreciated!

2. and meant to add a 'thank you' to the end of that!

3. We used to do that but it was generally agreed by the staff not to be productive. Parents were able to come in and see everyone elses results.

4. was that primary?

thanks so much for your take on it - i can see that would be a prob

any ideas on secondary anyone please!?

thank you :eek:)

5. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Just think you need to examine the rationale behind this.Seems to me that you are commending talent rather than effort.

6. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I wrote a much longer reply than this but a gremlin got in to the edit facility !!!! So ...... whilst this may provide some healthy competition for some it may be counter effective for others . What evidence does your colleague have to show that in displaying assessment grades (which I assume have been moderated and standardised ) attainment is raised / students are more confident / better learners or have a more positive approach to learning ? Sometimes difficult to quantify but student voice can be a powerful tool here . What about the mindset of the lower attaining students ? I know that there is plenty of research re quality feedback ( oral / written ) being the most single influential factor in raising achievement . I suspect that it is far better to expend time in embedding this in routine classroom practice than producing a wall chart with grades taken out of context .....apologies to your colleague if he / she is an AFL champion !

7. haha no he's not but he is an 'excellent teacher'
    thank you thank you thank you
    that really has put my mind at rest and is just what i was thinking...i suppose think i just needed to hear someone else say it!
    (and no they are not moderated etc - oh dear!)
    thanks so much for taking the time :eek:)

8. Bolter

Bolter New commenter

No, This goes against what the AfL gurus preach.

9. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Who?

10. Bolter

Bolter New commenter

Read the work of Shirley Clarke, Black, Prof Dylan Wiliam (The one in that tv doc, The classroom experiment), Carol Dweck.
    They question to widespread practice of external rewards such as sharing grades and comparison with others. The identify the negative impact on pupils when the giving of marks, grades and levels is over-emphasised and where pupils are compared with one another.

11. thank you so so much
    again, really helpful :eek:)

12. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I haven't read anything by the others but I'm not impressed with Shirley Clarke. I only tend to find myself agreeing with her when she's stating the obvious.
    Having grades on display works for my classes.

I don't really consider anyone (including myself) to be an "AFL guru".

13. Not particularly common these days as teachers are running scared of the PC brigade. I can't see any issue with it if it works for him/her and none of the kids are in floods with the school counsellor that other people know their grades. I have always found that as soon as you give them the scripts back they all tell each other anyway.
    Healthy competition is exactly that. I once taught a group of all boys with target grades of C- to E. They were notoriously idle and the course was 50% coursework (same kids these days would probably be put on a BTEC pathway thus adding to their woes). I marked a piece of work everyday out of a numerical figure so I could get a %. At the end of the week they had 5 numerical scores (sometimes more) and their percentages were averaged and the boys were ranked (alongside premier league football teams with one being relegated). They all looked forward to seeing the league table (projected onto the board) on a friday, especially since there were chocolate bars for those in the European places. When we did pieces of coursework then these were included eg, the score for the introduction of a report. These boys all outperformed their targets, one boy with a predicted E actually got a B. I was taking an enormous risk (the school could be very wishy washy liberal at times) but it paid dividends and at the end of the day what Heads want is results. It wouldn't work for everyone but it worked for me.
    I would be a bit open minded if I were you, I am assuming this person has a good deal of experience (to have ET status), you may be able to learn a lot from them.

14. pbw

pbw

hi
    personally do not see a problem with it - have done this before and my classes know they can refer to my wall display to talk about their current attainment and target to anyone who comes in the room.