1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Display - World without Maths?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by yorksbren, Dec 30, 2011.

1. I am thinking of compiling a display to promote Mathematics in school and am deliberating on the idea of "What would a world without Maths look like?" Its come off the back of pupils questioning "why is maths important?", "why do we have to do this?" or my favourite comment "Maths to me is only about money. As long as I can count it then I'm happy!" (This pupil went on to say that the government would provide her with her money.) I've started thinking about we'd have no money etc, we couldn't tell the time or date, we'd not be able to say how large or small things are, there'd be no ordering and we wouldn't be able to spot patterns. I'm sure there's loads of things, especially technology based that we wouldn't have if there wasn't Maths but was just throwing it out there for any other ideas?????
    (I'm sure the list is endless and it's quite a scary thought of a world without Maths, just need to find the best way of portraying it to younger minds.)

2. I like this idea. If you could get the idea across strongly enough children would appreciate the importance of maths more.

They could still legitimately ask "Why do I have to do this?" but I hope they'd understand that we do need some mathematicians.

3. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

geometry: measurement of the earth, was needed because the Nile flooded and destroyed the markers each year so ownership of land was difficult
    Statistics, literally State Mathematics or state -istics get it! needed to plan social provision eg schools, hospitals oap homes
    algebra: essential for forming rules i.e general rules that aid problem solving implications for mathematical thinking
    Maths is also the measurement people use to separate high achievers from also rans, why else do we insist on a C or above at GCSE

4. Actually many of the basic statistical measures like regression and correlation, I think also the normal distribution, were worked out to analyse intelligence scores. It was an obsession in the early part of the 20th century.

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I enjoyed your notion that people with Cs in GCSE maths are high achievers...

6. buildings, architecture
    computers and electronics - should they hand over their gizmos on entering the room? [​IMG]

7. Guish

Guish New commenter

http://learningmaths.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=109

You may find that interesting.

8. Guish

Guish New commenter

You may find that interesting:

http://learningmaths.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=109