1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Display of reading strategies

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Aug 12, 2012.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Hi guys,
    Has anyone ever displayed a range of reading strategies on their classroom wall? I'm thinking of creating a display called 'tips for reading' which I can refer to during guided reading / other tasks for when children are struggling to decode. I will have year 5 and will be an NQT starting in September - I'm really nervous about teaching reading and making the 2 sublevels of progress so want to get this spot on!
    Shane

2. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

I've got a reading strategies display in my resources, have it up over my English Skills wall.

3. I don't use a display, but have cards with strategies children working at different reading levels are expected to show me they can use. The children all have their own.

4. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Milliebear, that sounds fantastic and exactly what I'm looking for. Is there any chance I could get a copy of these from you? My readers are between 1c and 4c, so need all the help I can get regarding targets etc!

5. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

Me too! Sounds ideal!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

These work well for me:

http://www.teachingessentials.co.uk/Reading%20Sub-Levels.pdf

But for what to do when you are stuck:

http://displays.tpet.co.uk/#/viewPost/id882

7. LOL! The Teaching Essentials ones are the very ones I use - thanks Minnie. I just reworded some very slightly (to be child friendly) and then laminated them.