1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Display idea ‘the great outdoors’

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lucye, Aug 25, 2019.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

Hi Everyone,
    We have a whole school theme for a display first week back, The Great Outdoors. I was thinking
    Of colour mixing and leaf printing. They are Reception & will be part time in the first week. Any other
    ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go outside to play and take photos of them.
    Mount the photos on autumn coloured paper and add leaves round the edge of the board.
    Then you can reuse the board later to add children having fun with conkers and acorns, etc.

It's their first week of school, they need to be playing and settling in.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Totally agree, just get outside and play. Explore any wildlife or plants you have, explore physical challenge if you have resources, whether through climbing or riding a bike or kicking a ball. Use it as a celebration of what they can do. You could make a display or book of "I can....."
    Enjoy these early weeks. I'd leave leaf printing until we get some autumn, and colour mixing I'd leave a bit too, and slowly introduce that over time.

4. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

A montage of the childrens' outdoor holiday-time photographs?

5. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

OP I think you'll like Nature Detectives for future activities:
    https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/naturedetectives/

Let them roam and discover even with props such as pretend telescopes, listening ears, to hear the great outdoors, explorer hats and boxes to collect leaves etc.

But they'll be part time and it'll be the first week - lots of play and settling in.