1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Display for Maths classroom

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Goldopals, Dec 25, 2011.

1. I need some help to come up with some ideas to decorate my new Maths classroom, which is also the year 10 home group. The display board at the back of my room is absolutely grotty, so I need to cover it and it is about 1.5 metres high and 5 metres long. I will be teaching year 10 Maths (advanced) and year 11 Maths. So far I have come up with the following for the beginning of the year:
    <ol>[*]Maths Mistake posters- http://www.calculatorsoftware.co.uk/classicmistake/about.htm[*]A numberline [*]A one metre section each for each class which will show timelines, wordwalls, concept posters and any other relevant information[*]A pastoral care wall for the home group</ol>

2. I really wouldnt display Maths mistakes posters, whats the point in showing mistakes?
    Ideally, in terms of AfL, you want levelled/graded work from each class diaplyed, I have prointed some graded topics out on A3 that came from emaths.co.uk, that clearly show the progression between each AT.

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Well, at risk of sounding rude, I'll say it if no-one else will....

Maybe if you thought about something else at 12 noon on Christmas Day, you'll feel more inspired come term time...

4. (Or perhaps for the OP, just as for many, Christmas isn't a holiday they celebrate or perhaps not a day jam-packed with family and celebration. Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who often finds that as I relax over a holiday my mind finally has time to address things which interest me but aren't necessarily priorities during term time). Further to the ideas shared in the first post I've also had a display about why we might want to learn maths with images and photos to illustrate the answers (eg ex-students celebrating exam results cut out from the local press or year 7s enjoying a practical etc).

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Like what? Drinking? Eating? Watching **** tv?
    To the non-Christian world, Christmas is something the Christians celebrate and we use as a day off, pretty much like any other day off.

6. googolplex

Bundle of joy today, Karvol. You don't have to watch tv...!

7. Karvol

Sorry googolplex, it perhaps turned out harsher than it really should have!
    Forget tv. A couple of my students insisted I watch the new series of Dr Who, so I have started doing a back to back marathon of all of Season 5 and Season 6.
    It is, hmmm, a bit..er...hmmm.

8. googolplex

I gave up on the latest series of Dr Who. Totally incomprehensible....

9. you need to watch it alongside a small child, who will patiently explain to you what is going on

10. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Goldopals I like those classic mistakes posters - they are very good - we have them displayed at school.
    Room for some of their work?
    Some puzzles / challenges perhaps?
    I made a list of some free posters available - nrich have a great collection.

11. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

Try getting them (the students) to draw mind maps of concepts in colour they always make a great display and it does 'use both sides othe brain'

12. I'm afraid I'm a bit sceptical reading that comment Graham! Don't most thought processes occur in different areas of the brain (including sides)? And if I'm wrong, and the brain only uses one side to think about maths usually, what benefit does using both sides confer? You've made me very curious!

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I suspect that you are right. However, it may make a difference, and it does make a more pleasant environment. Some posters have interesting Maths which might capture the imagination of some of the students, especially if they add some 'real life' applications. Puzzles can also be good. I like 'how to' posters by the students, partly becasue explaining something is a good way to secure the learning. However, it is easy to let slip the odd error becasue the poster looks good at first glance.

14. Singapore is one of the 'high performing' territories we are aspiring to become equal with in mathematics, I didn't observe any wall displays in any of the classes I visited.

15. Karvol

They are all on the walls of the tuition centres that the students go to once normal school is over.

16. When I worked in an all-boys' comp I used to let them loose with good quality felt-tips and nice paper to do graffiti-style posters showing the commonly-used formulae (areas, etc) - I think I hoped that they would stick in their brains when they were gazing around the room during lessons.
    I certainly remember a few experiences when I would look at a poster that I'd half-noticed in every maths lesson all year, and it would suddenly click, perhaps because I'd just covered the maths it was built on, or for whatever reason.

17. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I've had occasions when pupils have responded to displays related to other groups' work - younger pupils asking about something they've never met, for instance. And after doing something like making 1-100 with four 4s, or 1234, the gaps have often been filled by students from other groups. Anything that gets them interested/curious has to be useful.

18. googolplex

Or, to play devil's advocate here, the display served as a distraction from the task they has been set. When I want to be creative, I rather like to sit away from any such potential distractions!

19. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

How I agree with frustum. The four 4s situation lasts a long time and is a topic of conversation for weeks.

20. hi - if you'd like some free display material, take a look at the 'mini-posters' page of our website (www.mathswarriors.co.uk) - there are a few items on there which you might well find useful - all you have to do is download, print and laminate - hope this is helpful - best wishes, kk / maths warriors