1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disneyland Paris Maths trip......anyone been?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Mathsmagician, May 30, 2008.

1. Has anyone ever taken a group of pupils to Disneyland Paris for the Maths trip? If so, how did you go about organising it?

2. Our school did this once (if you mean the one where lots of pupils from KS4 descend on Disney for a maths day?).

The staff that ran it refused to go again because of the behaviour of pupils from other schools (which of course we had no control over). But they said the day in Disney itself was very good.

We are now contemplating our own 5-day maths trip to Paris (inc Disney, the la Villete maths park, Stade de France & the usual Paris sights) for Year 8 pupils.

3. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I visited the Cite des Sciences in Paris with year 7 last year. I thought it was excellent. Unfortunately, the Maths part was being refurbished, so I don't know what that was like. We're going back in early July, and I'll post if it is good.

4. That would be great, Piranha. Is it something which fills up a whole day, or just a morning? I'm contemplating trying to squash a guided tour of the Stade de France into the same day but if there is a lot to see at Cite des Sciences then I will have to rethink.

5. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I ran a mathematics week in Paris for many years, adadpting it slightly each year. But generally goes something like this:

Monday
    6:30am Coach leaves from School.
    12:30pm Ferry departs from Dover.
    3:00pm (local time) Arrive in Calais.
    7:30pm Check in to hotel in Paris.

Tuesday
    9.00am Depart from the hotel after breakfast.
    Morning: Visit to La Villette City of Science.
    Afternoon: Visit to Arc de Triomphe.
    5:30pm Cruise on the Seine.
    8.00pm Evening meal at Paris Restaurant.

Wednesday
    9.00am Depart from the hotel after breakfast.
    Morning: Coach tour of Paris.
    Afternoon: Visit to La Louvre.
    6:00pm Evening Meal at Paris Restaurant
    7.30pm Visit to the Eiffel Tower.

Thursday
    8.30am Depart from the hotel after breakfast.
    All day: Visit to Disneyland Paris with evening meal in the park.

Friday 8th June
    9.00am Depart from hotel after breakfast.
    2.00pm Visit to hypermarket in Calais.
    4.30pm Ferry departs from Calais.
    5.00pm (local time) Arrive at Dover.
    10.00pm Arrive at School.

Each of the visits/tours have mathematics tasks and questions to complete.

Also, I had a booklet of mathematics puzzles for passing time on the coach.

I also made a treasure hunt for La Villette because the mathematics section was closed last year (it's open now though) this meant that the students got to explore the entire thing instead of just the mathematics part.

I know Paris really well and directed the coach myself.

Happy to give you any further advice or help. I have lots of "stuff" that could be useful (La Villette treasure hunt, risk assessment, worksheets, etc).

I also knew the folk at the hotel really well, and the kids were always fantastic.

6. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Oh... forgot to say, this was with year 8.

Also, take a letter with school header on it confirming you are a school group... you can get better deals on the seine cruise!

7. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Oh and do a seating plan on the coach and distribute the teachers around the coach - it is the law in France!

8. Tandy, you are a God. The helpfulness of people on these boards never ceases to amaze me!

I'm glad to see that my proposed itinerary is very close to yours, but mine is still at the drawing board stage so your advice will prove to be very helpful. Thanks.

Any of your aforementioned stuff would be very gratefully received!

cox_simon@yahoo.co.uk

9. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

coxy, the logistics of our trip make it only a morning. I would like it to be longer, but I like science. Some of the children would have liked longer, but some didn't take a lot of interest. Our trip is organised by Languages; they get lots of practice in French at Parc Asterix the previous day! I go along as a Year 7 tutor; it also drags me away from my 9s for a couple of days. Sigh!

10. Thanks everyone for the help and advice. Ive found a travel company for schools who do a 3 day disneyland maths trip for GCSE students for £229. It includes seminars each morning on the running of the park, the rides, the turnover, budgeting etc and then the kids are free to explore disneyland in the afternoons. Im going to try to get it organised. If i am successful i'll let you know.

11. Wow, this looks fantastic. Have spent the last few years taking my class to Munich, but your Paris trip looks like it could certainly surpass this. I would love to have a look at the quizzes you say you pass on to your students during the days. Of course, if you are interested, I will send you on what I have for Munich. mathsgirl@googlemail.com I would greatly appreciate it.

12. without doing to much me too-ing tandy could I please have a copy of your resources your trip sounds amazing and I would love to think that our school might manage to do something similar. We do not have a culture of residential trips at our school and this could be an amazing cross-curricular experience

13. Would love some more info about the Disneyland and Munich trips if you don't mind sharing. Planning for trips next year and wanted to get as many ideas as possible to put in front of HoD. garethg_74@hotmail.com

14. Hey this looks brillant!could i please have a copy to richiroo@hotmail.com. What travel company did you use for this? I dont seem to be able to find one! Complete novice to planning trips so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

15. Tandy your trip sounds fantastic. I would really appreciate a copy of your information if you don't mind. Thanks its klhesp@hotmail.com
    Much appreciated

16. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Tandy, I hate to be a "me too", but I have already put a helpful post on here. I'd love a copy of your treasure hunt for La Villette, please.

plprice@ntlworld.com

17. hey have had a good look around for some more info on this and dont seem able to find much.anyone out there who can offer any pointers it would be much aprreciated

18. We just got back from our Maths in Paris trip, same company as tandy, I beleive. It was our 2nd year, with 88 year 10's. La Villette maths exhibition was open and was very cool (even some of the kids thought so!) and the staff love doing this trip. We did 4 days for just over £200, but 2 of the days are taken up travelling. We didn't get to do Seine cruise, but did do Eiffel Tower, which the kids LOVED. They also loved buying loads of **** off the touts and I got offered a bribe to let them sell to the kids, which I of course refused.

19. Company we use is Galina, I guess you could google it. They organised most things, such as hotel, restaurant, coaches etc and we had to get kids organised (incl. joint passport).