1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dismissed without a valid reason.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by anon672, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi all.
    Just wanted to see what you all thought and whether you could offer me any advice...

I started working for a FE College in September and I was employed through an agency. My manager was not on the interviewing panel. Since September to a couple of weeks ago, my manager was making things very difficult for me... reducing contracted hours, observing my lessons and getting other staff to observe me (total of 6 times in 6 months! And everyone else was just once/twice and even though I was a Grade 2 every time), ignoring me as soon as we stepped outside the College, not authorising timesheets on time, shouting at me etc. It was clear she did not like me from the very the beginning.Early January, things got worse and she started acting very strange but I didn't think anything more.

Couple of weeks ago, I get a call from the agency to say the ‘College' were not happy with my performance... I was shocked and so were my colleagues. Apparently, they had been looking for a replacement for a while and the agency had ‘limited info' as to why I had been sacked. My manager did not even tell me herself.I have been a Grade 2 Lecturer since the very beginning. I did more than my contracted hours and did not get paid for this, was punctual/never absent... Just don't understand what went wrong. Apparently she never hires females and over 15 members of staff have gone through the department in 2 years.

I phoned the union and they said as I was employed less than 52 weeks there is nothing I can do.
    With regards to references and CVs I do not know what to write down, should I leave off my last job or not?

2. This smells of AWR messiness, especially since you have been there since September.
    How long have you been teaching?

3. I finished my teacher training in June 2011. This was my first teaching post which started in Sept 2011. I put up with it all because jobs are thin are hard to come by at the moment and with hardly any experience, I didn't want to leave and be without a teaching job.

4. *Jobs are hard to come by at the moment

5. You were right to take the job as they can be like gold dust right now.
    Were you being paid to scale by your agency? I still think this has some AWR issues about it. You don't appear to have done anything wrong.
    Has the college replaced you with another teacher, and if so, are they an NQT as well?