1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dismissal due to ill health

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by madcow100, May 12, 2019.

1. madcow100

madcow100 New commenter

Im going to be dismissed due to ill health after a long period of sickness and I’ve no idea how the process works and how long it takes. I know the school has to follow strict procedures but are there meetings involved? What are the steps? I wondered if anyone had been in the same position and could offer some advice and guidance? Thank you!

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Hopefully your union is involved as they should give you the best advice

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, your union is best placed to tell you what happens in your school. Although procedure is similar in most school (and employers generally) each decides its own detailed policy and procedures.

Get hold of a copy of your school's Sickness Absence Policy. The procedure should be outlined in there.

4. madcow100

madcow100 New commenter

Brilliant thank you. Yes the union is involved which is good and I will get hold of a copy of the policy. I just wanted a rough idea of how it may work? I feel I’m always badgering my union rep with questions!

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's what you pay your union fees for!

Good luck.

Piranha and HelenREMfan like this.
  6. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

That is what you pay your union fees for.

Piranha and HelenREMfan like this.
  7. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

@Rottweiler
    Simultaneous post
    Great minds or serendipity?

Rott Weiler likes this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is worth pointing out that, if you are under Burgundy Book conditions, you get full pay for your contractual notice period. I think that means payment until 31 August if you are given notice by 31 May and 31 December if it is between then and 31 October. This is regardless of whether you are still receiving sick pay.