1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dismissal at short notice?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kbees, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello - I'm wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice. I'm on a one-year fixed term contract until November, but am currently applying for September start jobs in other schools. My current head knows this and I get the impression he thinks I'm bound to get a new job by Sept (I don't think it's likely in the current job climate!). The head's bound to be making longer-term plans for the autumn term and beyond (fair enough), so is it feasible that he could get rid of me at short notice (we only have to give a week's notice either way), or does having a contract until November mean my position's protected?

2. Hello - I'm wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice. I'm on a one-year fixed term contract until November, but am currently applying for September start jobs in other schools. My current head knows this and I get the impression he thinks I'm bound to get a new job by Sept (I don't think it's likely in the current job climate!). The head's bound to be making longer-term plans for the autumn term and beyond (fair enough), so is it feasible that he could get rid of me at short notice (we only have to give a week's notice either way), or does having a contract until November mean my position's protected?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I can't see why they would... The role still needs doing and until you hand your notice in, it is your job.