1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DISILLUSIONED TEACHING JOBS IN UAE - OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by guissepp, Feb 2, 2011.

1. guissepp

guissepp New commenter

Advice pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeee -
    My girlfriend and I are looking to go to work in the UAE somewhere this september. She has 5 yrs experience, I have 6. We both have responsibilities with our jobs, however we have had enough working ininner London and have been toying with the idea of going to UAE. We would really appreciate any advice / dicussion points that you know of to help use come to the correct decision about working in the UAE. How would we go about looking into it? what is the procedure involved in getting an interview?

ANY ADVICE REALLY APPRECIATED AND WELCOMED

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Ditto my other comment on your other thread.
    Why did you put 2 threads on asking the same thing?

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Ok, got it, the other thread isn't yours.
    Apologies.

4. guissepp

guissepp New commenter

Hi, Yeah sorry I'm trying to put the feelers out, and Im kinda new at the whole process!

5. I'd argue that the best places to live in the UAE are Dubai and Abu Dhabi (at least, they're the most popular with expats & seem to have the best schools)

I'd start by taking a look at BSME - British Schools of the Middle East. Most have very good reputations and are non-profit and I know that some already have vacancies on their websites...definitely worth taking a look.

The non-profit making schools out here pay a lot better than the profit-making, ie GEMS, but GEMS is worth looking into if you're really really keen to move out here - they run a bunch of different schools in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Send me a PM if you're interested in knowing more about specific schools.

Hope that helps.

6. I agree with the Sir. Dubai and Abu D great. Stay away from most schools in Qatar. It is a nightmare there at the mo. World Cup fever, horrible dust, crazy money making schemes and so many roads closed that traffic is horrendous. Lots of money grabbing, out for profit only owners too. I see one of the worst is advertising right now. You could try agencies like SEARCH or IEG who are pretty good. Try China too...some great jobs coming up there. Good luck!

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

ArabianDelight, I think that your description of Qatar is a bit exaggerated. Yes, there can be some dust in Doha, but maybe one or two other places in the Middle East have been known to be a tad dusty as well, from time to time. Yes, the traffic in Doha can be bad, so one tries to avoid travelling anywhere on Thursday night or Friday night. I seem to remember that the traffic was also bad in Cairo and in Dubai, but maybe my memory is not what it was. As for awful schools, well, I think that it might be true to say that there are some of those in Doha, but there are also plenty in Dubai as well.

8. My advice - get married. You don't want to get arrested, thrown in jail or deported if caught living together. Or at least both of you each have your own accomodation. Lots of people do get away with it, but some don't.

9. On a more positive note, I love living in Abu Dhabi. I am probably in one of the not so "good" schools in the city, but I am enjoying my much less stressful job and lighter workload. This may come back to bite me in the behind when I decide to go back to the UK, but for now it is good for me.
    Research the schools carefully. Get some advice from someone who works there if possible. Check out the package carefully - try to find somewhere that gives you actual accomodation, rather than a housing allowance, and also it is much easier if you are living on the city rather than on the outskirts. I can easily survive without a car - public transport and taxis are very very cheap. In Duabi, that is not the case - you will almost certainly need a car. Pay can range from 10000 dirhams a month and up. Even on that small amount you can live easily (if you are single) as you will have few outgoings and still save money, but most schools pay more than that.
    There are always lots of jobs in the UAE - on TES and with agencies like Teachanywhere. Interviews are going on now, and even in July/August and later there will still be plenty of jobs available. Personally I was hired in less than a week after I was given the initial information about the school - so it can happen very quickly.

10. Firstly, you will not be able to work in the UAE without being married.
    If you can do that (!) I would have a look at working on the Licensed Teacher ADEC program. They are recruiting loads of teachers for work in Primary and Secondary English. Recruiting in the UK, Aus and NZ through Teachanywhere

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

No, this is wrong. You can independently get contracts, and thus residence permits, and work quite happily in the UAE. What you should not do is co-habit. You can do it, but you may be asking for trouble if someone - actually anyone - has a grudge and decides to report you to the police.

12. H, just reading through a reply u made previuosly on the tes. Iwondered if I could pick ure head? We didn't go this year but are getting prepared early for next year. Would u be able to advise us on some topics? Please regards guisseppe

13. Hi again, thanks for rue previous threads, where would u advise that I go looking for vavancies? And what visa requirements are there on the visa front .

14. Should ADEC continue with the LT program, it may be worth a look. Good salaries. Decent apartments/housing. Can be challenging. TES were running adverts last week.