1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disheartened

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KatiW, Sep 16, 2011.

1. I teach secondary DT and qualified in June 2011. To date I have not managed to secure a job and am at a loss as to why the government is training up so many NQTs each year when there just aren't the jobs out there? Every job I have applied for there have been over 50 applicants. I desperately want to be in the classroom inspiring children - but just can't get the opportunity to do so. I have had 6 interviews so far - but none have been 'the one'.

Will it ever be the one - as now I believe employers are going to look at me and wonder why others have not employed me. I always get such good feedback in interviews but am always just 'pipped' to the post.

Sorry very disheartened today. Thanks for listening/reading!
    Off to cry in my tea!

2. Don't cry into your tea Kati, get positive and sign up with supply agencies and go and inspire until you can get your NQT job. Good luck.

3. Hi Kati,
    Firstly, it's always good to have a good little cry to get it all out of your system.
    I too am a DT NQT who graduated this year but still haven't found a job. I've managed to apply for 6 jobs so far, but no luck of even an interview. I'm in the process of completing 4 more applications at the moment for January start positions.
    I know it's not easy and I ask myself the same questions when I think about the number of NQTs that are comming out of the system. There just aren't enough jobs.
    What I have done so far is register with two supply agencies and have also contacted two LEAS directly to let them know i'm available for supply. You could also get in touch with your placement schools to let them know that you are available. All the while, keep your eyes peeled for those vacancies and apply for everything!! I've vowed to apply for any job that is within a 2 hour drive.
    Good luck Kati and I wish you all the best.
    S4mm13

4. Thanks guys - I have done one days supply so far which I got through writing to local schools - I am signed up with eteach LEA and two other agencies, but have had no work from them so far. I am being proactive and posting all my resources too - on here and Helen Hudspith! Only one job has come up in the area to date. Good for you on the two hour thing - I have a young son - so have to keep travel within an hour. Am being proactive and like you say - cry in tea helped (it was because I didn't get an interview for a job which would have been perfect- and I had all the skills for - Ha! They don't know what they are missing!). Oh well - chin up!

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'm a D&Ter who qualified in 2009, had a post for a year but nothing since. I know how miserable you must be feeling but we're a skilled bunch, have you considered trying to do something on the side? I started up a business TBH its not turned over much profit so far but its kept me sane on the days when there has been no other work.
    I've now given up and am off to Aus in 4 weeks now! Bit terrified but hoping some doors will open there instead x