1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disheartened. How do you stay motivated?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shoeshopper, Sep 25, 2019.

1. shoeshopper

shoeshopper New commenter

Dear all,
    had an interview today and didn’t get the job. This is the third observed lesson and interview I’ve had and not got the job. There has many many applications prior to this. The feedback today was that my interview and lesson were very good. However, there was a better candidate. I have some other information about answers I could have added more to. I feel really quite disheartened and tired of job hunting. How do you motivate yourself to keep going? Thanks in advance.

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It’s hard. I don’t know your circumstances or how quickly you need/want to move to fresh fields, but the whole application/interview process can be extremely emotionally draining and sometimes you need to take a break from it.
    Think carefully about exactly what it is you want and focus on applying for those jobs - don’t expend energy on applying for anything which isn’t a good fit.
    Resilience is definitely required in job-hunting these days. You have to find ways to bounce back once you’ve come to terms with your disappointment. No experience is ever wasted, so think what you can take away from the process which was positive.
    All the best!

digoryvenn likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Perhaps you should try teaching overseas.

4. judeybabs

judeybabs New commenter

I had my third rejection today as well. Y feedback was that they aPointed someone who was already doing the job somewhere else! Surely then they could see that from my cv so why bother to interview. I feel like giving up as well. Hate the whole process

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

For the sake of argument, imagine that all applicants are of exactly equal merit. Imagine also 20 applications for each job and 4 being shortlisted. Then on average you'll be shortlisted for 1 in 5 jobs and you'll succeed in 1 in 4 interviews.
    The application and selection processes aren't entirely lotteries but they are not very scientific either. So don't be disheartened at a handful of unsuccessful attempts.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You've got a long way to go before you beat my record of 13 unsuccessful job interviews in a row.

Don't give up yet.