1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disheartened at lack of supply/General moan

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ringlets, Jan 19, 2020.

1. ringlets

ringlets New commenter

Anyone else agree? I feel like I've been through the spin cycle and have been unceremoniously dumped out the other end?

I've only had three days work since September. My most favourite was working in a SEN school because the expectations were so much lower (and achieveable for the children) than in mainstream. Least favourite...having to teach phonics to a KS1 class last thing on a Friday afternoon.

The longer I spend out of the classroom, the more disinterested I feel I have become. I have noticed that the Primary curriculum seems to have become unreachable for the vast majority of children...square peg in a round hole sort of scenario. I do wonder about the sorts of things we are expecting them to do, as well as the general attitude of most of the children. They just seem to switch off.

I think it may be time to look elsewhere.

JohnJCazorla, pepper5 and speaker2 like this.
  2. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

Three days work since September? I hope you're not the sole household breadwinner! How many agencies are you with?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I’ve said before - if the work isn’t there it doesn’t matter how many agencies you’re with!
    Supply is no longer what it was: a useful way to keep up your teaching skills without going the whole hog of a permanent position. The current situation is very depressing for we Supplies.

4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi. If you need the money be a Cover Supervisor. (I think that’s where all the work has gone). There seems to be a fair bit of day to day work there.

If you enjoy SEN would you consider long term? Let your agency know. Consider odd day as TA in SEN schools. Get your face seen. You will soon have offers of work.. easier if you’re willing to do long term but a lot of short term work as well.

But above all tell your agency you liked being in an SEN school.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    MissGeorgi and BertieBassett2 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

As I've said before I think in many areas of the country day-to-day supply work is all but dead. Schools have 3 or 4 cover supervisors and don't get in agency staff unless they absolutely have to.

Long term supply is still very much alive and kicking - but not everyone wants to do it.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Why don't you retrain?

There are opportunities in orher fields like computing.

JohnJCazorla and BertieBassett2 like this.
  7. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I’ve been fully booked last term with day to day stuff. I was fighting off work on some days (sorry to sound insensitive). That was Warwickshire area (I’ve moved now however). I’m mentioning that because I think there is work out there, especially in alternative provision. Primaries don’t employ cover supervisors so that’s one thing.
    I’d definitely change tack. Or Another agency? I was under the impression that SEN teachers are hugely in demand. If you enjoy this, i’d do a qualification in it and consider applying for permanent jobs.
    Depending on your subject you could perhaps tutor, or consider a subject refresher / intro course in maths, science etc?

pepper5 likes this.
  8. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

(Generally) No but many do employ HLTAs or ask the class TA to cover...

agathamorse, Jesmond12 and pepper5 like this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I agree with this. I did a day’s supply in a school last week. I was the first teacher from my agency to visit them. They said that they had not used supply got a long while as they had an HLTA who covered absences. However that person had now left.

When I was a HT I would use an HLTA to cover a one day absence. However if it was going to be longer then I would bring in supply.

10. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

My agency seems to have retired me.

Jesmond12 and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  11. JanE60

JanE60 New commenter

Yes, TAs are being trained up as HLTAs as a cheaper option to supply teachers. Our days are over...

agathamorse likes this.
  12. BertieBassett2

I’m sitting here - all dressed up and nowhere to go!
    Will give up soon and just get on with my day.

agathamorse and Jesmond12 like this.
  13. sebastian_paz1

sebastian_paz1 New commenter

Living in South London and here I worked overal less than a week. I have been booked in some schools in North London and in one independent school mostly. I really hope it picks up (Nothing today so far)

14. cerneiris

cerneiris New commenter

Since September I only worked for one school, it seems it is the only school in the entire UK, in previous years I used to be fully booked,now I spend weeks without any booking. Tough times

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  15. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

I've just finished a 12 week gig, and am back to waiting for the phone to ring. Schools are only supposed to use hlta's for three days continuous cover. Also a qualified teacher should not accept cover work, if the agencies know you'll take it why would they pay any more? I've always managed with the amount of work I get, but inbetween jobs, in quiet periods, there is always the worry that the phone won't ring

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Same here BB. Now getting on with the day. I am not available tomorrow and I don’t hold out much hope for Wednesday.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  17. BertieBassett2

I’m the same, Jezza - my car is being looked at tomorrow (on going fault) and I’m also not hopeful for Wednesday.
    The thing is, I really enjoy doing the odd day here and there and am fighting the urge to pack it in altogether. It’s hard not to be downhearted and there are only so many times I can call the agency to ask if work is picking up!

Jesmond12 likes this.
  18. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

Just missed some work, was on the phone to my mum stupid phone didn't alert me to other call or voicemail

19. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I must admit that it as been quiet since Christmas and I know that some schools have recruited additional cover supervisors and have reduced payments for supply. Most of work as been miles away since October and I suspect that I am too expensive, as I will take reduced pay.