1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disheartened after returning to teaching.

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by outerspace, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Does anyone else share my dismay at the direction teaching has taken over the last ten years.
    I returned to teaching 3 years ago after a 10 year break. I went on supply and blundered along picking up bits of the new curriculum along the way. There were no returners courses available- I know I applied!
    I've tried to get a few jobs but I think my lack of experience coupled with my high scale point puts people off. The interview process is also terrifying including lesson observations and multiple interviews.
    To be honest I don't know if I want to still work under the conditions I find now. There seems to be a desperate hot house atmosphere in school and staff are constantly looking over their shoulder waiting for ofsted to rear its ugly head.
    The thing is I love the kids and the ones I teach say I'm the best teacher, but I don't want to be constantly jumping through hoops to get and keep a job.
    Anyone out there feel the same? Please say it isn't just me!

2. Hello and welcome to the forums.
    You may not get much response in this forum but there are over 100 others to choose from. Simply click on one from the list on the left side.
    <font size="2">If you get stuck, I can help you or visit our </font>help pages<font size="2"> by clicking "Help" at the bottom of any page.</font>
    <font size="2" face="Arial">Alternatively, you may may find it useful to post about this in the Career clinic forum where Professor John Howson is on hand with expert advice or you could post in some of the other career forums.</font><font size="2" face="Arial"> Best wishes
    </font>