1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

disgusting scented candles

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Dec 12, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We livein a second floor flat in an old house. The floor below is let as airbnb There's a couple there for a week at the moment (they seem very nice) who've poisoned the entire house with a truly obnoxious, powerful and sweet scented candle. Both nizeman and I now have headaches.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Someone gave me a candle once which smelled nice until I lit it, then it smelled like old curry.

nomad and nizebaby like this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'd be furious and I really sympathise. I hate the smells and I'm allergic to them so they make me really ill. I wish they were banned. They're now known to be toxic. Why does anyone still use them?

EmanuelShadrack and nizebaby like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Ooer. I tried to think of a prezzie for Sons new gf. Don't know her very well, looking for not-investment non-scary pres. So: gin kit, chocs and candle. Asked son does she like candles? Him: she hates lavender. (Me: weirdo)
    So have seen a G&T candle but not right colour for her place.
    All suggestions welcome since I've got 2 hrs to dash round town with toddler in tow.

nizebaby likes this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

NOT a candle, unless it' s really, really delicate and natural one. It's the strong ones that smell like a Lush shop that I hate. I'll have a gentle word tomorrow. I'm sure they wouldn't light one in a hotel.

Buy the lass a bottle. It used to annoy me that the men teachers got wine while the women got ghastly scented candles!

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Nice soaps/shampoo etc? Voucher for a beauty treatment?

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Are they trying to hide the smell of their smoking?

magic surf bus, needabreak and nomad like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Set fire to a turd outside their front door?

At least it's only a week, but I sympathise - I refuse to go in shops that smell of pot pourri or joss sticks.

Mrsmumbles, Mangleworzle and nizebaby like this.
  9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Definitely not. Not cannabis either, They are the very picture of respectability. Probably keep their paper hankies in frilled floral containers.

rosievoice likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

A week is seven days too long. We are. under an olfactory siege.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe they're trying to disguise the pong left by the previous AirBnB tenant? EeuuurghBnB so to speak.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Haha appreciating your advice. I've got her a gin testing kit but was looking for an add-on. Will think again!

nizebaby likes this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I don't think so. I think the flat is spotless. In any case, there hasn't been anyone there for a while. The house isn't damp.

No, it's an unfortunatre lifestyle choice. I'm interested in the toxicity thing, by the way, which leads me to my next new thread..,

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

A bottle of gin?

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Have you SEEN the price of those Jo Malone candles?!

Some people have money to burn.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I wish people would get away from the idea that you can eliminate a bad smell by introducing another 'nice' (and I use that word cautiously) smell. All you get is a vile mixture of the bad smell and the new also bad smell. Can't people open a window anymore! I expect it's another fake problem introduced by the advertising industry. Why advocate something free and healthy when you can make out that you can solve a problem by throwing money (and smells) at it.

Nizebaby, I'm with you. I'm a woman who likes a nice bottle or a box of chocs.

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Burning a long match after a rather ripe poo is far better at getting rid of pongs than spraying the loo with horrible synthetic air-freshener.

Dyathinkhesaurus likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

I never considered a candle a removal of previous honk.
    Always a pleasant welcome to... Oh dear. Musta gottit wrong.

19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

That's to aquamarina.

20. Aquamarina1234

My 3 yr old : poo smells of poo me: Yeh poo smells of poo. That's why we flush it.